Chapter 24. No Take-Backs!

Hey guys, I know the romance part takes so long but I really want to put details on Joy and Byron's relationship. The other reason is that I can't just rush it since Byron's personality is very complex. Thanks! I don't want to explain any more because I might give out spoilers, you'll understand when we go further into the story :D

I've only been walking since I left my house, but these paper bags were getting heavier by the second!

Staring at the bags, I examined if any of them were damaged from all the running I did last night, but luckily, they're sturdy enough to hold the dozens of canvases.

Looking up as I try to even my breathing, I saw a tall, familiar figure up front, not far from me. Byron is also on his way to the school, not even noticing me behind him.

I casually walked faster until I was right beside him. Who knows? Maybe if I had greeted him while I was a bit farther, he'll surely just walk ahead of me since he's so anti-social.

"Good morning, Byron!" I greeted in a much louder voice than normal. I saw how Byron slightly jumped from my unexpected presence and laughed, "And I'm sorry." I immediately said as I laughed, not wanting him to get angry.

He stopped into a halt, causing my laughing self to bump onto his back before I toppled. With the weight of the bags on both hands dragging me down, I fell on my butt, my laughing reduced to a grin.

"Help me up." I jokingly said as I reached out my hand while also trying to get up, knowing Byron would just stare at me.

Much to my surprise, he gave an irritated sigh and grabbed my arm instead of my hand before roughly pulling me up with a strong force, I didn't even have to do anything. His hands were just like the time he held my head because of my bruised wound-they were freezing.

Amidst my bewilderment, I attained my balance and looked at Byron who's giving me an angry stare for some reason, "T-Thanks." I smiled, not mentioning his cold hands. He just turned around and started walking. Me, being the person I am, followed suit, walking beside him, "So . . ." I mumbled, "Thanks for lending me your . . . stuff. It'll be really helpful." I quietly said.

"Did you even . . . read any of it?" He mutters with a stoic look on his face, looking somewhat disappointed.

"Well . . ." I awkwardly chuckled, "I only read one. I had to grade these 'til midnight," I raised the bags, implying what they were for.

We passed through the school gate, I gave a smile at the guard as usual before I walked in. Byron kept a straight face as we walked, not even commenting on my response.

Reaching the opened main doors of the school, we walked in silence. He isn't offended, is he? I just didn't have the time to read any of the articles because I was tired and I have to get up early but I really appreciated what he did. In his case, it was probably a huge deal to just lend someone his stuff and I feel really happy that I'm that someone . . . Okay, I'm overreacting, but I can't really explain it, I'm just really, really pleased.

Jesus, I feel so special just because he lent me his weird hobby box. It's not a good idea to overthink and start expecting delusional things.

". . . Did anything happen last night?"

"What?" Byron's voice tore me away from my thoughts. I averted my gaze from the hall and onto him, only to see him looking down with an exasperated look on his face as we walked, "Umm . . . Nothing, really." I answered.

"Nothing?" He glanced at me, his expression growing confused. That face, good God, make it stop.

"Nothing, just my mirror getting broken," I mumbled, keeping a straight face in the middle of my thoughts, "I had a weird dream about the proxies too." I mentioned, he's probably going to get curious since he's just so fascinated with those things.