34 - 1998

1998

[A/N: Good evening one and all, you aren't hallucinating this is an update!! Expect more updates in the next couple of weeks. I'm sorry I left you all hanging for such a long time. Welcome to everyone new and thank you for sticking with me. Okay, so the pre-information for this one shot is that it's set in 1998 (hence the title) and feel free to imagine Castiel watches Charmed and Friends and listens to 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield when getting ready for parties and all other kinds of typical 90s things! Enjoy!]

It was your typical Monday lunch hour, Castiel was sat with his back rested on a thick, aged tree on the furthest boundary of the school field. He thought of this as a prime people watching position, especially in the late summer when the air had that sticky humidity and the majority of the student body felt the need to play all manner of ball games on the school field. Shirts were off and being used as goals, and a few students were even risking a trip to the principal's office to douse each other in the now lukewarm water from their bottles.

As a reserved but devoted student, Castiel hadn't ever really made time for friends. Thusly, he found solace in music rather than friendship. At this present moment Castiel had blocked out the shrieks of those on the receiving end of water fights and the yells of sweaty, testosterone filled football matches with a mixtape Castiel had compiled himself consisting of his favourite songs from what he thought of as the greatest albums of this decade; including, but not limited to, 'Best...I' by The Smiths, 'Nevermind' and 'In Utero' by Nirvana.

Castiel took particular time to people watch one human in particular. Castiel wasn't a fan of weather like this but if it meant that he got to watch Dean run around with his top off then Castiel wasn't going to complain. In fact, it almost had Castiel praying for a heat wave that lasted all semester. Dean wasn't a football jock, he was a gymnastic jock which brought great joy to Castiel's viewing as Dean did flips and all kinds of inhumanly flexible stretches.

To Castiel's dismay the bell rang, ending the sweet torment. Castiel had art class for 5th period, followed by gym as his final period. Castiel was your typical loner; bedecked in a tie-dye t-shirt of 10 different colours and a pair of headphones perpetually around his neck, but somehow being into art also adhered to the loner stereotype. Unfortunately, as the old saying goes, time flies when you're having fun and the hour lesson felt like 5 minutes. He just knew that an hour of gym was going to feel like 10 years, though.

Castiel isolated himself in a corner of the changing room, not allowing himself to glance at the other boys changing, knowing he was hanging on to heterosexuality by a thread as it was without being caught watching his classmates changing. Perhaps Castiel's luck was changing as he fleetingly heard the gym teacher announce they were going to be moving on to gymnastics this semester, the teacher etched the advantages of gymnastics on a frankly crap drawing of the human body. Castiel's focus was half hearted though, as he noticed the gymnastics squad sat at the front of his gym class. How hadn't he noticed them earlier?

Music started playing and the gymnastics squad started moving, Castiel snapped out of the trance Dean's listening-face had put him in - there were so many freckles to count, and despite how often Castiel stared at Dean, he was nowhere near to counting all of them. All of Castiel's birthdays came at once as the group displayed everything Castiel's gym group were supposedly going to learn to do this semester. Splits, handstands, shoulder stands, and all sorts of rolls and stretches. The music stopped and Dean looked up smiling, catching Castiel gawking at him making his face burn with embarrassment and shame.

"Alright, we'll start off with the basic stretches. Buddy up, you'll have the same partner for the entire semester. I expect you all to put on a display like that at the end of the semester..." Castiel stopped listening when he noticed someone sitting down in front of him. He glanced up and felt his eyes go wide at the sight of his object of his affection.

"I'm Dean, I thought we could be buddies this semester," Castiel got a sudden rush of confidence as he looked around and realised Dean had chosen him,

"I'm Castiel." Dean grinned at him before standing up and holding out his hand to help Castiel up. Castiel blushed, looked at Dean's hand and took it coyly.

Dean was a fantastic teacher, he showed Castiel how to do each stretch and then proceeded to physically help Castiel position himself correctly. Everytime, week after week, this would make Castiel burst into flames and tingle in the place where Dean had put his hands.

"If you put your knees together when you do this one it'll help you get the correct stance," Dean guided as he got down on his knees and pushed Castiel's knees together. He had to agree it did make it easier to stand balanced the way Dean had shown him, it was just slightly hard to concentrate when Dean left his hands on Castiel's knees. "I can even feel that you're becoming stronger already." Dean commented nonchalantly, clutching tighter on Castiel's thighs. Castiel fell out of the stretch, landing hard on the ground next to Dean. The more athletic of the two laughed, while Castiel initially blushed then joined in the laughter. Castiel never thought he'd enjoy gym class, but it became the best semester he'd ever had.

[A/N: Just FYI the song that plays when they do the display is 'Baby One More Time' by Britney Spears because "oh baby baby" is what Castiel has rancid thoughts throughout this one shot and I thought it was only wise that I edit out his vulgar, definitely-not-PG thoughts for the younger readers and faint hearted.) (Comment your favourite 90s things because the 90s were awesome right?)