7 - Morning Rush

Morning Rush

(A/N: This was inspired by: I work in a café and have to use the coffee machine sometimes and I could imagine a human Cas working in a coffee shop and then this fluffy fic formed in my head and so I wrote it down. This is an AU so I hope you like it.)(You could almost say this fic was teen!Dean and teen!Cas...if you wanted to imagine them like that.)

The bell over the door rang and Castiel looked up from the coffee machine to see their newest customer approach the counter. Castiel didn't usually work in the mornings so when a customer said “just the usually” he got a bit thrown. This one didn't. He had kind, aged beyond his time green eyes which pierced through to his soul making him feel strangely comfortable and safe.

“Hi, you're not the usually morning guy.” he said, breaking into conversation easily, as any regular customer would.

“No I'm covering for Charlie for two weeks.” Castiel informed the man being as polite as possible but in all hounesty he didn't have the best people skills, even when he worked part time in a coffee shop where most customers chatted.

“Ah, I'm Dean. If you work in the mornings you'll be seeing a lot of me.” Castiel smiled warmly at Dean, knowing that he would be seeing him everyday because Charlie had told Castiel the names of her favourite customers and as he introduced himself Castiel remembered the name Dean being on that list. Charlie's type wasn't guys but she had told Cas how beautiful his eyes were and that if he smiled at you it was sure to render you breathless. Castiel had told her she was being melodramatic but she had been right about Dean's eyes so he decided to hold off on accusation until he received one of these smiles.

“What can I get for you, Dean?” Castiel chirped pleasantly like he would for any other customer.

“Just your average filter coffee, in a take away cup,” Dean sat at one of the stools to wait the short time it took to pour a filter coffee, “I don't think I've ever been the only customer before. This is the first time I haven't had to queue.” Dean commented, making unnecessary small talk. Castiel put the take away cup on the counter and bent down to get a lid. “I usually have to give my name and wait 10 minutes, I could get used to this.” Dean gave Castiel a breathtaking smile before scooping up his cup and heading out the door “I'll see ya tomorrow.” he called as he exited the coffee shop the bell ringing at his departure.

The next day Castiel was swamped with customers. Garth was helping out but he wasn't exactly good at the job so Castiel was working at 100 miles per minute. Every set of eyes that walked through the door he wished were those kind green eyes he couldn't stop thinking about. Oh how he wished it was yesterday morning again!

The doorbell rang and Castiel looked across the crowd spotting Dean who gave him an encouraging smile. Castiel pushed on, continuing to make 100s of coffees in the space of 30 minutes when all the business men dropped in to get a to-go cup of something strong to help them stay awake through the day before coming back in the evening for a cup of hot chocolate or tea to help them relax on their way home.

Dean approached the front of the queue and said “Same again.” before sitting on one of the stools to wait for his coffee. Castiel knew he was never going to forget Dean's order, filter coffee was so easy to do and he wished all of the customers had filter coffee.

“Hey Garth. How are you on this fine day?” Dean asked Garth who actually stopped to go chat with Dean. Castiel wasn't annoyed though. You know what they say about having two chefs in the kitchen... “How about you? Having fun?” Castiel rolled his eyes jokingly, feeling at ease with Dean despite the 10 impatient business men staring at him as he made their coffees.