t h i r t y - f i v e

Maddie's POV-

"Are you feeling okay, honey?" My mom asks.

"Yeah, I'm just a little tired." I lie. I hear her sigh into the phone.

"Maddie, I know something's wrong. What's up? Do you want to come home?" My mom asks. I take a deep breath, considering whether I should tell her that I really do want to go home.

She deserves to know...

"Yeah," I whisper into the phone. I run my hand through my hair, flopping down onto the soft bed.

"I'm just really tired of this. It's the same thing every day, and I don't want to spend the rest of my summer like this." I say. I pick the nail polish off my thumb nail out of boredom.

"Sounds like you have testosterone poisoning." she says. I chuckle lightly in agreement.

"Yeah." I say. She sighs again, and I hear shuffling in the background and a female voice. Probably my aunt visiting.

"Well, I've gotta go now. I have work in an hour so I better shower and get ready. Are you going to be okay if you go to the Miami meet? I'll just pick you up at the airport there." She says.

"When's that?" I ask.

"In about six days, I'll pick you up at the airport, when you guys are flying out to Texas." she says. I nod to myself, knowing that I need to go home.

"Sounds good. I love you mom." I say.

"Love you, too, baby." she says. I hang up, throwing my phone back into my bag, landing in a pile of clothes.

"I need this." I whisper to myself.

-

Hayes POV-

"Hayes, come here!" Cameron shouts. My head snaps in his direction, the sun blinding me briefly.

"What do you want?" I shout. The gate to the pool squeaks open and Cameron appears alongside Shawn and Nash, all wearing helmets and skateboards.

"We're going to go pull some pranks and make some Vines. We're probably going to skate through the closest Walmart. Wanna come?" Nash asks. I shake my head.

"No, thanks. I'd rather stay here." I say, putting my earbuds back in and dipping my feet into the pool water. He nods, turning and walking away with the others.

I check my social media for a little while, tweeting and following some of my fans. I make a couple Snapchats for my friends back home who were asking about me. I really miss them.

The other door from the hotel opens, and Maddie comes in, holding a towel. She was wearing a white bikini that really brought out her dark tan. I secretly despise her naturally tan skin tone.

"Hey," I say. She smiles at me sweetly, setting her stuff on a table and coming to sit next to me. I take out my earbuds so we can talk.

"What's up? Where are the others?" She asks, dipping her feet into the cool water next to me.

"Doing their own things. We're leaving for Miami tomorrow." I say. I toss my phone onto my towel by the chairs.

"Oh." she replies quietly. She stares down at our feet, swirling them in the water.

"What's wrong?" I ask. She shakes her head, smiling a little to herself.

"Nothing, it's just..."

"You can tell me, it's okay." I encourage her. She raises her caramel-colored eyes to meet mine, her eyes glazed over with fresh tears.

"Hayes...I'm leaving the tour after Miami." she says. My heart drops when she says this.

"What do you mean you're leaving? Why? Maddie, you can't! Tour wouldn't be any fun without you." I say. She looks anywhere but my eyes, and I instantly feel guilty for making her feel bad.

"It's really complicated with Shawn...and you," she adds. " I love you Hayes, but I love Shawn, too. I just need some time to get my head straight and figure things out. And I haven't seen my friends since May, and that was a month and a half ago. I'm homesick, Hayes." she says, desperation in her voice. I don't say anything for a while, thinking deeply about what she's saying.

"I'm not continuing tour if you're not." I say seriously. Her head snaps up.

"No. No, Hayes, you can't do that. You have so many fans you'd be letting down–"

"I know that, Maddie! I love my fans, but I just don't want to do this without you." I say.

"You've done it almost every other year without me. You'll be fine. It'll be more fun, anyways. You know, without a girl around. You guys can do guy stuff, and pull pathetic pranks, and eat disgusting amounts of food, and sleep naked, or whatever other weird things boys do when I'm not around." she says. I smirk at her.

"I already do all those things." I say. She cringes.

"Ew, don't say that. I've slept in your bed before." she says, scrunching up her nose in disgust. I chuckle, but my laughter fades.

"You're right. I can do a lot of things I normally can't when you're around, but the fun things I do are when you are here. All the other years I've done it without you before because I didn't love you." I say. Her facial expression drops a little at my words.

"But I love you now, and that's all that matters. Maddie, I'm not doing tour without you. I can't and I won't." I say. A tear rolls down her cheek, but I wipe it away with my thumb. I kiss her lightly before pulling away.

"I love you too, Hayes." she says. My heart beats a little faster with her words. She hugs me tightly, and I hug her back, pulling her small frame into an embrace.

She pulls away, tears staining her cheeks.

"Thank you," She whispers. "for supporting my decision."

"Shhh, don't cry." I say, smiling at her and wiping her tears away. She smiles goofily at me.

"Ugh, this isn't what I came in here for. I came to have fun, not to cry." she groans irritatedly, tracing her finger along my bare chest.

"Well, if that's what you want..." I say. Her eyes meet mine briefly, before I pick her up and jump into the cool pool water.

I emerge from the surface, laughing. When she resurfaces, she's gasping for air, flipping her hair out of her eyes.

"Hayes!" she exclaims, giggling.

"I love you." I say, laughing. She glares at me, dunking me.

And that's how we spent the rest of our last precious night in New York City, just like that.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I finally updated. Sorry for the cliché chapter. They'll get better soon, I promise.

I have to go because I'm doing a 5k today and I have to get ready.

Don't forget to vote and comment and share! Love you guys! ❤️❤️