24.

Amanda.

I dragged my feet into the kitchen exhausted from last night. Mom was over the stove, cooking something.

"Morning Amanda," she chirped as I drug my way to the table. A plate of bagels were in the middle of the table and so was a pitcher of orange juice.

"Morning" I replied dully. I knew Edward was going to come down any second and I silently prayed he wouldn't talk to me. He had his stuff ready so he should leave right away.

"You going to class this morning?" Mom asked, pouring herself a cup of coffee. Whatever she was making smelled good.

"Yea.. I just need a ride-"

"Edward won't drive you?" she stopped what she was doing and frowned at me.

I sighed. She didn't know, and I wasn't planning on telling her.. yet. How would she react if she found out?

"Uh.. he can't. He has something to do and.."

"Morning Mrs. York," Edward strode into the kitchen with a smile on his face. Bastard..

"I'm leaving now," he informed her, looking off to me. I quickly looked away. I didn't want him talking to me.

"You don't want to stay for breakfast?" she asked as the pan sizzled. Mom no.

He shook his head, "No ma'am, I have something important to do.. I'll hear from you later?" he started to walk out of the kitchen but then stopped to look back at me.

"Bye Amanda" his eyes were soft, so sad. It wasn't fair, for a moment, I want to ball up and cry. But I sat there and listened to the door slam shut.

I picked up a bagel.

"Okay.. Amanda have you heard from Taylor?"

The name sounded foreign coming out of her mouth. Of course I haven't! "No, I haven't. It's been weeks since I last saw him. He won't even answer my texts or calls."

"You think he's on campus?" she said, as if she already knew the answer to her own question.

"Probably not.. I don't know. Where's Dad?"

"At work or probably looking for Taylor. One of the two. He's been very distant lately. Maybe it's too much work." she said in a low tone. She brought the pan over to the table and emptied the pan of left over vegetable noodles from last night onto the plate.

She sat down.

I know it's been weeks since I last heard from Taylor but, I have been worried about him. There was no doubt he would show up here all grouchy and "mad at the world" so I had prepared for it. After I finished off my bagel, I headed upstairs and finished getting ready.

I was wearing one of Edward's big shirts so as soon as I let the water run, I ripped it off and threw it in the back of my closet. I showered and put on some fresh clothes and let my hair lose and curl free. I slipped on my glasses, grabbed my purse, and headed out the door.

As I waited for Mom to get the car started so we can go, I phoned Taylor and he picked up on the second ring.