Chapter 30: The last time

2 minutes of class left. I had to reach the door and runout before Liam caught me. I know he wants to talk, quite frankly I don't want to hear it. I had even asked to change seats so I didn't have to sit directly in front of him. I start packing up slowly and quietly so it doesn't distract the others.

"Ms. Heart!" Mr.B yells and I get all stiff. I look at him and he gives a disapproving look at me as he shakes his head. "Packing up before the bell rings.... It distracts you, the students around you, and especially... ME. You will be the last to leave now." I let out a deep sigh and slump back in my seat as the bell rings.

Once everyone has left the classroom I pick up my bag, swing it around my shoulder and walk out the door. I turn to look down the hallway, I notice someone leaning up against the wall next to the door looking down at their phone. It's Liam! I gasp and he looks up. I take off running down the hallway.

"Justine!" He yells running after me. I knew he was a faster runner than me but I kept running anyway. I burst open the doors that lead outside and continue running. There is snow on the ground so I am extra careful this time. Being cautious was slowing me down, a lot. I feel something grab my arm and spin me around. Then he grabs my shoulders and pushes me up against a nearby tree.

"Let go of me!" I yell. He picks up one hand and puts it over my mouth.

"Justine, just listen to me." I take one of my hands and rip his from my mouth.

"No! I don't want to listen to you, you lying douce bag!" His eyebrows raise.

"I never lied..."

"Cheating is considered lying! You said you loved me when clearly you loved someone else."

"I never loved her."

"But you cared enough to kiss her?!"

"Justine, stop, and listen."

"No! I don't want to hear about you're secret love affair with the hot girl you tutor."

"Look Justine. I know it's wrong, And I never should have done it..."

"So you admit, you WERE cheating on me." I interrupt, my voice rises again.

"Shhh," he raises a finger and presses it to my lips. Then he grabs my hand and rubs his thumb across my knuckles. He leans his other arm against the trunk above my head so his head is inches away from mine. "I'm really sorry Justine, is there any way you can forgive me for what I did?" I look down at my feet. I didn't want to forgive him but I knew I had to.

"Yes." I finally let out. He smiles. He closes the empty space between us by pressing his hips into mine. His face still inches away from mine, he looks into my eyes and bites his lower lip. He leans in to kiss me but I turn away so he kisses my cheek.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Liam, this doesn't mean we're back together." He crinkles his eyebrows.

"Why not?" I can not believe he just asked this.

"Because, I can't trust you anymore. Do you understand that? All of my trust for you has been flushed down the drain. I may have just forgiven you, but I can never forget what you did." He pulls away and he lifts his hips off mine so he's just standing above me.

"So you're saying..." He pauses staring at the ground.

"It's over." I finish. He sniffs and wipes a tear that's falling down his face.

"I'm sorry, Liam." There was silence for a while, then I go in for one last hug. Tears automatically burn in my eyes and run down my face. Liam's strong arms wrap around my waist and nuzzles his head in my neck. When we pull away we gaze into each others eyes. We both lean in for a last kiss, our lips meet and after a few seconds I pull away.

"Can we still be friends?" He asks.

"I would like that." I reply and give him a small smile. There was another silence.

"I guess I'll see you around." He says as he turns and walks away.

"Bye." I whisper as one last tear rolls down my cheek.