Chapter 37: (Louis) Fading

Today was the best and worst birthday I've ever had. Considering that Ted had to pass suddenly, but Justine was here to make it much better, with the support of my family as well. They boys had also been texting all night to make sure I was doing all right. It was about midnight and my birthday was coming to an end. It was almost Christmas, but it still didn't feel much like it.

Justine and I walk side by side downstairs and get ready for bed. When I get out from using the bathroom Justine is laying in the middle of the bed on top of the covers scrunched in a ball, her eyes in a trance. I chuckle lightly as I lean over her and give a light kiss on her cheek. She doesn't flinch. Something was wrong.

"You alright?" I ask. She slowly shakes her head. "Justine what's wrong?" She doesn't respond. I crawl next to her and cuddle up with her. My arms wrap around her waist as my chin rests on her shoulder. "Talk to me, what's running through your mind?" She lifts up her hand and intertwines her fingers with mine.

"What's going to happen to us?" I laugh silently in confusion.

"What do you mean? We're perfectly fine." She shakes her head again.

"No... I mean, when I have to go back to Minnesota. What's going to become of us?" Her question takes me into shock. I had completely forgotten she wasn't here permanently. I guess I was so wrapped up in everything we've done I had assumed she wasn't going to leave. That she would always be here with me. I squeeze my arms tighter around her waist and nuzzle my head in her neck. I let out a deep sigh through my nose as I hear her sniff.

"Louis, I don't want to lose you again." She says choking up and a tear slides down her cheek.

"Oh please don't cry, Love." I say holding back the tears filling in my eyes. "It's going to be alright, we will figure something out. I promised you I'm not going anywhere, and with you is where I'm going to stay no matter what." I lean over her so my face is over hers but I'm upside down. I make a silly face and she slightly giggles. Just the reaction I was looking for. I smile and flop down facing her. I wipe a tear that was rolling down her cheek with my thumb. She scoots closer to me so we are face to face. She looks down at my hands and traces patterns with her fingers across my palm.

Then her fingers trail up my arm and to my bicep where they dip and turn with the curves of my muscles. She doesn't make eye contact with me as I lift my hand up and run my fingers through her hair. I bring my hand back under her chin and tilt it up so her eyes meet mine. Her eyes sullen, a deeper blue than the ocean. They were filled with worry and questions that she kept to herself. Either too afraid to ask, or knew I wouldn't have an answer.

"Lou...." She whispers. I lean down and kiss her softly on the lips.

"Shhh, let's not think about it. I'm right here. We need to get some rest." I reach behind me and shut off the table lamp. We start to settle down, I put my arm around her as she rests her head on my chest. Her legs wrap around mine as she clings to me tightly, not wanting me to leave her. I lie awake thinking of what our possibilities are;

My school is here, hers is there. My family is here, her mum is there. I couldn't possibly leave my family, she couldn't possibly leave her mum. Emma could always move to England, but then again finding a job is easier said than done. Justine wouldn't abandon her mum in america, She is all Emma has left....

This is going to be more difficult than I thought.

***

*Christmas*

The next morning I wake up, I roll onto my side and reach for Justine's warmth. I stretch out my arms and they go off the end of the bed. I peak open my eyes only to find that I'm in the bed alone. Where did she go? I check the bathroom first but she's not there. Her phone is still on the bedside table charging so she must be upstairs. I walk up stairs and smell Nan making pancakes. I look around for her, but no luck. Maybe she's with Lottie or Fizzy... But they're no where in site either.