Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Mia's POV

"Are you done?" she asks completely devoid of any emotion.

The way she's looking at me right now, I find it completely terrifying. Just moments ago she was really upset, but now she just looks... dead. I can't think of a better way to explain it, her face is just expressionless. Her mood switched so fast, one second she was clearly angry with me for some reason and then the next she looks completely detached.

I don't even know how to react right now. All can I do is give her a slight nod and she just gets into her car and drives a way without saying a word.

I've never seen her like that. Usually even if she's not showing any emotion on her face, you can still manage to catch a glimpse of something in her eyes. It's clear she tries her best not to show her emotions, but no matter how hard she tries some of it always manages to show its self in her eyes. Sadness, amusement, lust, there usually is always something, but her eyes had held absolutely nothing and I think that's what terrified me the most. I can't even begin to imagine what she had been thinking about to get her that way.

I'm suddenly ripped out of my thoughts when the bell rings, and that's when I notice I'm still standing in the middle of the parking lot. I try my best to compose myself the best I can before I head to my third period class.

><><><><><><><><><><

All I can think about all day is Avery, and that look she had on her face. I wonder what I could have possibly said that would get her to look like that. I seriously don't know what to do, if thinking about her before hadn't been enough to drive me insane, well it might be now.

The second I got home I called Layla and she said would come right over. I really need to talk to her, and maybe she can tell how I might be able to fix this. Thirty minutes after I get off the phone with her, I hear my apartment door opening. She calls out for me and I tell her I'm in the bedroom, and when she gets to me I hear her let out a big sigh. I've been laying on my bed on my back just staring at the ceiling ever since I got home an hour ago.

"What happened? I thought you were going to stay away from her?" she asks as I feel the bed dip next to me.

"I know. I was, but she approached me and I fucked up, that's what happened," I tell her.

"Care to tell me what you did?"

"I told Avery that I care about her." I look over at her and see that she seems a little surprised at what I just said.

"And do you?"

"I do. I didn't really know that I did until it actually came out of my mouth, but I actually do care about her."

I don't know when I started caring about her or even how, but I honestly do care, a lot. Probably even more than I'm willing to admit even to myself.

"How did she react when you told her this?" she asks, pulling me back out of my thoughts.

"That's the thing, she didn't react. Like at all. There was absolutely no emotion to be seen from her whatsoever."

"What do you mean? I feel like I'm missing something," she says looking confused, so I decide to try and explain everything that happened today from the beginning.

"I'm not even sure myself. We were fighting because the other week I told her that if she ever wanted to talk that I would listen, she kept refusing, but I just kept pushing. This morning when we were fighting she asked me if and why I could possibly care about her. She wanted to know why I wanted for her to talk to me so badly and I told her I just wanted to help her, and or some reason she just got really pissed. She'd stormed out of the classroom and I chased after. I stopped her in the parking lot and that's when things started to get fucked up," I say then pause to take a breath and gather my thoughts. No matter how many times I go over it in my head I still can't quite understand what happened.