Chapter 36

Chapter 36

"Avery! My eyes are up here," she says, making me look up into her beautiful blue eyes.

"Sorry. You just look so beautiful," I say and she graces my eyes with her wonderful smile.

"You know, I think you've said that before!"

I shrug my shoulders. "Well I've never really been one to lie."

"Is that so?" she asks while walking around the table and sitting in the chair next to me.

"Yes it is," I say as I look into her beautiful eyes and she gives me a small smile. "What are you doing here Mia?" I ask with a small sigh.

"What aren't you happy to see me?" she says with a small laugh.

"I didn't say that now, did I?" I say, but it's the truth. I'm not happy to see her. I've been desperately trying to keep my distance from her for about a month. And now she shows up here of all places, looking absolutely stunning. It's now going to make keeping my distance from her a million times harder.

"You know I could ask you the same thing," she says.

"But I believe I asked first."

"Fair point!" she says with a smile full of amusement. It's so beautiful I can't help but to return it. "An old friend from college works for the same company that Adrianna Montgomery's father, he was invited and was told to bring a date so he asked me."

"Ah!" I say. "Is this old friend also an old boyfriend, by chance?" I ask with a raised brow.

"Jealous?" she asks and I shrug my shoulders. I might be a little jealous, but I would never tell her that. "No, he's not. I only go for woman," she says and a small smile appears on my face. That's good to know!

"So what are you doing here Avery? Do you know either the groom or bride to be?" she asks and my smile vanishes.

"No. I don't know them at all," I lie, or maybe it's not really a lie. I think there is a fair chance that I never really knew Adrianna to begin with. "My father works for the company as well. I was forced to be here. You know, family obligations," I say and she nods her head.

"I see. So your fathers here?" she asks curiously.

I nod my head. "He should be stalking around here somewhere," I tell her and she looks deeply into my eyes and it appears as if she is searching for something.

"Is Evan here as well?" she asks after a moment

"Yeah he is. I believe he's off somewhere trying to keep my father away from me."

"Ah!" she says. "Is that why you're sitting back here all alone?"

I nod my head. "Among other reasons," I tell her and regret it because she starts eyeing me curiously. "So, what's a beautiful woman like you doing wandering around on her own?" I ask, changing the topic of conversation back onto her.

A big smile forms on her lips. "You know, I just got this weird sense of Déjà vu," she says and I let out a laugh. I recall saying something similar to her the night we met. "Well, Nick, my date, ditched me almost an hour ago in order to take care of a few things for his boss. So I've just been wandering around seeing if I could find him, but it seems I found you instead, which in my opinion is much better," she says with a smile.

I give her a small smile in return. I really shouldn't be doing this with her, doing this is really going to make staying away from her that much harder. I can sense that she likes me and if I keep this up, I won't only be leading her on but myself as well. I know this, but I can't seem to stay away from her. If she's not with me physically, she's in my thoughts. It seems like I can't escape her no matter what, especially considering she shows up pretty much everywhere I go.