Chapter 28 - The Hardest Part

"Hello?" I answered Tristan's phone while he was in the bathroom.

"Hello?" a Spanish man said. "Who is this?"

"Tristan's mate... who is this?" I asked suspiciously.

"Ah! Scarlett, it's me! Ronaldo Gonzales, si? You remember?" Ronaldo shouted in an excited voice. "Where is Tristan?"

"He's in the bathroom." I replied. "Oh wait, he's coming."

"Who is it?" Tristan mouthed at me as I wordlessly, gave him the phone. "Hello? Oh, Ronaldo. What is it?"

The rest of the conversation was in Spanish and I didn't even bother to listen because I was so tired. I went downstairs to eat. I found myself grabbing the first thing that my hands could reach which turned out to be an apple. I put it back on the counter, looking for something filling. I looked through the fridge then the freezer until I found a chicken and mushroom pie. I got it out, removed the wrapping, and stuck it in the oven.

Meanwhile waiting for the pie to cook, I ate the apple.

"Scar!" Tristan shouted from upstairs. "I need to talk to you!"

I finished the apple, drank some water, and dragged my legs upstairs. What did he want to talk about?

"What is it?" I asked.

"I just got off the phone with Ronaldo." he said, sitting down on the bed.

"And?" I replied moving closer.

"And I told him about our situation. He's willing to help us."

"How?"

"He said to go to Italy. He has a place we could stay, warmth, food, protection. We'll be safe."

"Let's be clear here Tristan. Nowhere is safe for us anymore. It doesn't matter if we go to Italy, or Rome, or Paris, they'll hunt us down, and they'll kill us."

"Actually, Rome and Italy are-"

"I don't care!" I snapped. "Do you really trust this man?"

"Yes, I do." he replied seriously.

"But we know everyone here, and we know where everything is and-"

"We're going, regardless of what you say." he commanded.

"Then why did you call me up here?"

"To tell you." he replied casually. I rolled my eyes and turned around, walking towards the door.

"Whatever." I mumbled. "I'm not going."

"We'll see about that." he said, following me downstairs.

"You can't make me go." I objected, turning around to face him with my arms crossed like a stubborn child.

"Yes, I can." he put his hands in his pockets and smiled down at me.

"No, you can't." I refused.

"Trust me," he towered over me and leaned towards my face, looking directly into my eyes. "I can make you do anything."

"Whatever, I like it here and I'm not going."

"Look, they won't know where we are, you even said we should go into hiding." he said, putting his hands around my arms. "Why are so against this?"

"I'm just..." I looked down. "I don't like things changing."

"Sometimes it's for the better." he said gently.

"You're right." I nodded and looked up at him. "When are we leaving?"

"Tonight." he replied, making my jaw drop down.