Chapter 12 - Balancing Urges

Nicole's POV

"How old are you?" I asked.

"I'm nineteen." he replied, staring at me with his beautiful, green eyes. "And you?"

"Eighteen." I said. Tristan and Scar have been gone for about 3 days now, and let me tell you, the peace has been great. "So, why're you still here?"

"Do you want me to go?" he answered back quickly, his eyes steady.

"No!" I half-shouted. "No, stay. I just meant, why are you here? Don't you have some other place to be? A job?"

He studied me for a moment hesitantly, which me made wonder what he was thinking.

"I like you." he finally said, making my heart squeeze itself in happiness. I resisted the urge to smile. I know I thought that he was my next victim but everyday, it's getting harder and harder to see him as one. I think... I think he was meaning a lot more to me than I expected him to.

"Do you?" I replied playfully but what made it even more teasing was that he thought I was serious. He's too cute.

"Yes." he replied nervously after a pause. "A lot. I sometimes think too much."

He whispered the last part and I knew there was more to that than he meant.

"I like you too." I answered back quietly, making his head jerk up to look at me. I felt myself freeze in my seat as his eyes captured mine in a brief gaze. I didn't like it when he made me feel shy, it made me feel exposed because I was always so wrapped up in a protective, rebellious, shield. I still couldn't work out his profile. He was confident, handsome, and clever... not to mention there was something dangerous about him that I was getting invited to discover.

There was a silence and we weren't meeting eachother's eyes. Why was I feeling this way for him? I've been with an infinite amount of boys, and gone far with them but always stopping at the edge of the border, I haven't even touched him and he was making me crazy.

He's our mate. My wolf said.

"Huh?" I blurted out, not realizing I was doing it out loud.

"What?" he replied, confused.

"Nothing. I-er-"

"Talking to your wolf?" he asked.

"I-yeah-how did you know? You're a werewolf too?"

"You really are stupid for someone so pretty." he replied, rolling his eyes. I didn't know whether I should laugh, blush, or be mad.

So I just smiled at him while verbally abusing my wolf.

What? He's our mate? Mate? Like actual mate? Why didn't you tell me?

It's not my fault you're too dumb to realize. Plus, you never listen to me.

"I have to go." I said all of a sudden, standing up. "Bye."

"Wait." he grabbed my arm, a rush of electricity shooting up my bone, and turned me around, staring into my eyes. "I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Is it okay, if, um," he took his hand away. "If I ask you out sometime?"

"Sure." I replied, a smile unconsciously appearing on my face. "That's okay."

"Right. Um, well, bye then." he waved at me.

"Bye." I waved back, walking away, my heart beating as if it were the first time.