Challenge

(A/N: Warning! There's Yaoi, in the air! Well, as usual, it's just the Yaoi reference and yada yada yada. I think you're getting tired of seeing this note every chapter. Should I stop it? Meh, as long as no one is complaining...)

"Hah?!"

Killua's eyes were wide in surprise as his brain processed Aki's words. It was so unexpected. Especially since this was Hisoka they were talking about. From what Killua had seen, he was not parent material.

The silverette could vaguely recall Aki saying that she was only took in by her Oyaji. In short, Hisoka was only her adoptive parent. But that only made Killua suspect the red head. Why then did Hisoka even decide to take the 'boy' under his wing? Does he have a hidden agenda?

Was it because she was only a child? Because she has amnesia? Did it also have something to do with why Hisoka didn't let her learn Nen?

The more Killua thought about it, the more conflicted he felt. Did Aki intentionally hid this fact from them or not? Why then? If she did have an ulterior motive, what caused her to do it? To pretend that she didn't know anything about Hisoka... 

As Killua continued to stare at Aki silently in contemplation, the black haired girl had her eyes cast away from the silverette, feeling uncomfortable under Killua's gaze. Her head still hurt from remembering her teammate, a girl by the name of Sakura. To add up to her headache, Killua found out that Hisoka was actually her 'old man'.

She figured that at least until Gon finished his business with Hisoka, she'd keep her relation to the red head a secret. After all, there was obviously bad blood going on between Gon and Hisoka. Aki let out a groan. She was not careful enough. She couldn't really lie about Hisoka being her adoptive dad because for sure, that would make this whole situation more messy.

If what Gon said about friendship and stuff was true, then would he be able to accept this fact about her? Aki bit her lip before letting out a sigh. The black haired girl turned her gaze to the red head.

"Oyaji, aren't you supposed to be having a match right now?" Hisoka went stiff and Killua finally snapped out of his reverie at the sound of Aki's voice.

Ah, that's right. I nearly forgot.

Hisoka thought to himself. The red head narrowed his eyes at Killua before they returned to Aki. He was having second thoughts about leaving the two alone. But then again, Aki can take care of herself. If Killua did try to make a move on his Aki, Hisoka knew that the black haired girl would be strong enough to beat him senseless. Giving Killua one last look, Hisoka patted Aki's head then walked away with a wave.

"Then, I'll be going now~ Be sure to watch me." Aki and Killua watched as Hisoka's back disappeared from their view. As soon as he was gone, the atmosphere around the two changed from being silently awkward to completely unbearable silence. Killua studied Aki as she refused to look at the light-haired boy.

"... Why didn't you tell Gon and I?" Killua asked after a few more moments. He didn't budge from his spot and stared at Aki calculatingly.

"Because, if I did, would you still say that you want me as a friend? You guys obviously have bad blood going on between the three of you. Besides, I had my reasons." Aki explained, letting out another sigh as she rubbed the back of her neck. Yeah, reasons that were nothing more than speculation. Killua examined the black haired girl. What she said made sense. If she did tell him that upfront...

I doubt I'd ever let her be in the same room as I do.

But now that Killua took time to actually realize Aki's character and even went as far as saying that he wanted to be friends with her, he just couldn't go back. Killua couldn't find it in himself to break ties with the black haired girl. The silverette may not know how to treat Aki as a friend but... he obviously know that no matter what, he should be able to accept her. That was the least he could do.