Devil After Her

"Welcome to our base." Pakunoda announced in monotone, contrary to the amusement dancing in her eyes.

"Now then, shall we proceed to business?" Machi had a cold look in her eyes as she said these words.

"What do you mean?" Killua asked, unable to help himself from his suspicions. Machi blatantly ignored him.

What the—

Killua had to stop himself from exploding. It's not like he expected them to answer him. However, it did seem odd how they kept on ignoring them while

"This is the base...?" Aki muttered under her breath. What is it with kidnappers and their shabby headquarters?

"Yes... it is a bit shabby. Do try to overlook it." Pakunoda responded, making Aki and Killua rise a brow. How come Aki gets an answer? Yep. Completely suspicious. 

The dark-haired girl glared at the woman's arm on her shoulder and shrugged it off. How did she... it was almost like Paku had read Aki's mind. Several other members stepped up, all eyes seemingly glued to Aki.

I get that he's kinda good looking, but why's everyone only looking at Aki? Killua couldn't help but wonder. From what he's observed so far, it was almost like the Troupe members were giving Aki special treatment. For what reason, he had a bad premonition... 

Then, he saw Hisoka. For a moment, Killua's eyes widened a fraction. Of all the people to run into—why Hisoka? Did Aki know that he was a Troupe member? 

Moreover, wouldn't it be bad if the Troupe knew that Aki was Hisoka's kid? Killua sweated. Or maybe... is that why the Troupe was treating her 'nicely'? Because Aki is Hisoka's adopted kid? After all, from what he heard about the Troupe, the members treated each other like family—although they treated other people like trash. 

But, that didn't make sense. From what he heard from Aki when she came back, Hisoka cut ties with her... 

Hisoka turned his gaze towards Killua, making the light-haired boy stiffen in surprise. However, the red head immediately averted his gaze as if he didn't recognize any of them. Killua got the silent message.

Play dumb.

Killua gulped, realizing that maybe Hisoka could bail them out of this mess. After all, he liked Gon... right? However, there was no longer any need to play dumb—because the Troupe already knew that Aki was Hisoka's adopted daughter. Hisoka wasn't aware of it, but regardless, it had been his plan to distance himself from Aki as soon as possible.

Before he got attached more than necessary.

"Ah!" Gon exclaimed in surprise after seeing the familiar red head. Killua and Hisoka sweated. 

"What is it—" Aki started, only to be cut off guard at the sight of Hisoka. Her mouth opened, ever so slightly in shock, before her lips formed a thin line. Hiding any emotion she felt at the moment, she gazed coldly at the red head.

Although Aki had expected Hisoka's presence, she wasn't any where near ready to face him. 

"Oh right, you're Hisoka's adopted kid." Nobunaga blurted out. Hisoka looked at the man in surprise. How did they know? The red head clicked his tongue, realizing that playing dumb was of no use anymore. He let out a sigh, owing to his mistake. 

"That's right—"

"No." Hisoka was cut off by Aki's abrupt denial. Surprised, Hisoka finally  looked at the girl for the first time. And he was further surprised by the coldness in her eyes.