The Argument

The car ride home was silent, Kate didn't want to bring up the subject in a place where she couldn't leave if it got too much and she didn't want to say something that she might regret. Rick could tell that something was on her mind as she just stared out the window, what he didn't know was what and how many things were going through her mind. They had to stop off at the store for some things for tea but Kate wouldn't get out of the car, using the excuse that she was too tired and so would rather stay in the car.

Once they got home, Rick went in to unpack the shopping and make a start on tea and Kate went straight into the office without Rick noticing. She needed space, some thinking time. She needed to go back but knew Rick wouldn't agree but she needed to. She sat in the chair and thought until falling into a gentle sleep. About 20 minutes later, Rick went into the bedroom expecting to find Kate in bed resting. He walked in with a glass of water, unsure whether she had actually drank anything whilst she was at the precinct but to his surprise she wasn't in there. He checked the bathroom getting panicked when she wasn't there either. He spun round, thoughts running through his head when he saw the office door slightly ajar. He had shut it completely this morning, he was sure of it. He walked in to find Kate curled up in his chair fast asleep. He took his phone out, snapped a quick photo before walking over to her and picking her up gently.

Whilst he was carrying her bridal style to the bedroom, she began to wake up. As he laid her gently on the bed, he saw that she was awake. This had foiled his plan of allowing her to sleep for a little longer before he came to wake her with a kiss and the news that tea would be ready soon. So he changed the plan, grabbing her face and planting a soft kiss on her lips. Kate didn't argue with that but she needed to stop it. Pulling away, she looked to the bedside table and saw the glass of water that Castle had brought her. 'Thank you' she said picking up the drink. 'Tea will be ready soon. Why don't you go clean up and then afterwards we can talk.' He got up and started to leave when she called him. 'Rick what do we have to talk about?' Kate was confused but worked out that Rick had sensed that she needed to talk. 'I don't know Kate but you need to talk about something with me, I can tell.'

Kate did as Rick said and they sat and ate. Rick had made Kate's favourite, his special pasta and had found non- alcoholic wine in the shop to go with it. Kate was a bit sceptical at first but drank when she had read the bottle. The next few months were going to be difficult with no drinking and no coffee but she was glad that she had found substitutes, well Rick had. She just hoped he would understand her decision to go back to work early.

'Rick. We do need to talk. Can we go sit on the sofa?' she asked standing up, grabbing his hand in the process to guide him to the sofa. 'Kate, before you begin can just say something. I know there is something wrong, something you need to tell me so don't hold it back. You were silent in the car and didn't say anything when we got in and that isn't like you at all. What's wrong, is it the baby?' Rick said, concern in his voice. 'Oh god Rick no! The baby is fine, I feel fine. It's not that.' With this Rick relaxed and Kate grabbed his other hand. 'No, it's about work. I need to go back. I am going back.' This confused Rick. 'I know you're going back Kate. Then in a few months' time you are going to be off again.' 'No babe listen and don't get mad. I'm going back tomorrow. I need to solve this case and put him behind bars for me, for us. Then we can be a family.' Rick was speechless. He couldn't let this happen. 'No Kate. I can't let you go back! You were shot 6 days ago by this man. Do you not remember that, you could have died if he shot you anywhere else, our baby could have died! It is too dangerous for you to go back now. Your stitches could rip or worse. He could be trying to send you into a trap.' Rick was crying now, at not only the fact that Kate was going back but at the recollection of the memory and the thought of an alternative outcome. 'Rick I need to. You don't understand I need to do this for us! So we can be a family.' Kate was shouting now. Rick stood up and ran his hand through his hair, turning around. 'NO KATE! I cannot let you do this. The boys will find his last victim and convict him. There probably isn't even a victim anyway, he is just lying to postpone conviction and to get to you!' Kate wasn't as angry as Rick but she was more disappointed that he couldn't see why she needed to do it. 'I've made my decision and I'm not going to change it. You have to accept it, I'm going back tomorrow.' With this Kate stood up and went to walk past him. 'Leave' he whispered. 'I...I need you to leave. I need some space'. This surprised Kate but she did as she was asked. She stopped, looking behind her at Rick on last time before walking out of the door.

Another chapter for you all. I want to take this time to thank you all. It has been a year and a day since I started this story and what an amazing year it has been.  I never expected the story to be this long and that people would actually read it, never mind vote and comment so thank you.

Please Vote and comment anything you would like to see, your opinion and whether you think I should speed things up or not.

Thanks again 

EvilRegina xx