Black Cats Are My Favorite

(Once I post this chapter, I'm going through all the current chapters and changing them to past tense. I just realized that some are present tense while others are past tense, which isn't good. So, sorry for the inconvenience, and enjoy this next chapter!)

I decided that sandwiches would be the easiest and quickest thing to make for lunch, so I got started and got out everything I'll need. Neeks flew around, watching me work. "Do you need any help, Jasper?" He asked, landing on top of my head. I smiled and shook my head, grabbing the peanut butter and jelly for my mom's sandwich and ham and cheese for mine.

"Okay." He sprawled out, tickling my scalp with his tail as he swished it around. "If you say so."

I made the sandwiches and put them on plates with some chips, then grabbed some water for Mom and me to drink. Neeks hid himself in my hair and I went to my mother's studio, knocking on the door before entering. Mom sat in front of a canvas, pencil tapping against her chin as she stared, contemplating. I stood by the door for a few minutes, debating how I should go about this without startling her.

"What's your favorite cat?"

I jumped, startled that mom actually knew I was there for once. I made a sound of confusion, walking over and setting the plates on a table near us. I looked at the painting, smiling as I saw a drawn out kitten reaching up to swat at a butterfly, a sunny sky in the background and flowering trees framing the picture."What's your favorite cat?" She repeated, glancing at me again.

I thought for a few minutes. All cats were pretty, I liked all of them. But a certain cat couldn't escape my mind, one that made me happy and comfortable.

"Black cats. Black cats are my favorite... And can you make its eyes green?" I wrote, showing it to my mom.

She nodded and marked it on the drawing, smiling and looks at me. "Long hair or short?"

"Can you do short but fluffy?"

She giggled and nodded once again. "You got it, baby boy." She hummed as she sketched out the fluffy fur with her pencil, and when she was done she sighed. "Alright, now we can eat." She set the pencil down and stretched. "Man, that took me so much longer than it was supposed to! I should have started painting an hour ago!"

I handed her her plate and pulled over the extra stool for me to sit on, shrugging lightly in response to her words.

"Well, anyway.... How's school going? Is that video game session still on with those boys Adrien and Nino?"

I nodded, smiling brightly. I grabbed my notebook and started to write once again. "It moved to Adrien's house. His dad apparently wants to meet me because of how I look."

"I see. Now, is that a good thing, or bad?"

"It's good. He's a fashion designer, and since he's never seen an albino, he wanted to see how his designs would look on one." I played with my necklace as she read it, and ate my sandwich quietly.

She glanced at me, then back at the note I wrote, then back to me again. "Alright, well, first thing first, we need to change that chain on your necklace. Make it shorter. Then we need to touch up your hair. You didn't brush it well, again. Give you some concealer under the eyes.... Hm... Make sure you are wearing one of your nice shirts.... And make sure you add concealer to your neck. I don't think his designs have scarves, so it'd be better to cover up the scars if you don't want him to see."

I roll my eyes and shake my head, scoffing faintly. "Mom, I'm playing video games with my friends, not auditioning for something."

Mom giggled and reached over, running a hand through my hair. "I know. But it's been so long since I've seen you so excited for something. I knew that it was smart to get you away from there and move here to Paris." She smiled lovingly, her hand moving to cup my cheek. "I just wish you could speak again. Then you could dance and laugh like you used to..." I leaned into her touch and smiled sadly. I hoped my eyes could show her that I wasn't sad anymore, that everything was okay. Someday I'll tell her about being the newest edition to the hero team, but not yet. It's too dangerous.