15 and Growing

For those of you who know or remember what I'm talking about- I GOT THE JOB! Well, sort of, anyway :3 I'm currently an intern and if I do well, they will give me a paying job in January! Yay!!!

Onto the story!

The morning of my 15th birthday, I was sleeping quite peacefully when a loud POP! caused me to jerk awake, flailing as I quickly covered Neeks with my sheets so my mom wouldn't see him.

A second later I felt paper confetti fall onto my head and shoulders, and Mom was giggling, one of those party poppers in her hands. "Happy birthday, Jaspie!" She cheered, even as I glowered at her from the annoyance of being awakened so surprisingly. She just grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, getting rid of the confetti on my person as my scowl turned into a smile with a roll of my eyes.

"There we go, all nice and happy!" She hummed, lightly patting my cheek before leaning down and kissing my forehead. My smile grew and I gently started to push her outside my room, wanting to get dressed. Mom pouted, turning to look back at me. "Aw, already?"

I nodded, closing the door once she was outside and quickly getting dressed after letting Neeks come out of hiding. The small Kwami immediately flew over, hugging my cheek and nuzzling it. "Happy birthday!" He cheered, giggling and soon flying off to do something as I got dressed. A moment after I finished getting dressed, Neeks flew back over with a feather accessory wrapped with a loose ribbon. "Here's your present!" He chimed, flying over and handing me the hair accessory. It was two, probably medium sized, feathers from a small bird, and a small greenish-blue feather that was undoubtedly from a hummingbird wrapped at the tips with dark metal that made a small loop. They shimmered in an almost magical way when they managed to catch the light.

Neeks looked so proud as he handed it to me, and I smiled at him in thanks. "The big, reddish one is from a Red Tailed Hawk, the slightly smaller black one is from a crow, and the smallest one is from a ruby-throated hummingbird." Neeks explained, taking the accessory once I removed the ribbon and flying closer to my hair. He pushed some aside and started tying it into threads of my hair, being extremely careful as he did. I think he also used some sort of Kwami-magic or something to make it stay, because that was not how these were traditionally put in, I'm sure. "I made it myself, with my powers, which is why it kind of shines a bit." He continued to explain, and soon he moved away from my hair, smiling brightly. "Perfect! Now your really one of my pups!" He nearly squealed, flying around my head happily.

I silently chuckled, looking over to the mirror to see how they looked. They laid flat against my hair, curling inwards instead of sticking far out. They stood out extremely well against the white of my hair, and the small hummingbird feather was able to hide itself surprisingly well, only flashing itself to be seen when I moved my head a certain way. I carefully grabbed Neeks, hugging him tightly and nuzzling him in thanks.

"You're very welcome, Jasper! Now, I need to let you know that this can't touch the ground, okay? It'll be fine if you are laying down on the ground but don't roll over onto it or anything. I used my magic to let it stay on, much like the masks when you and the others are in superhero form, but I just need to be very clear about this."

I gave him and nod, meeting his eyes to let him know I was serious about this, and after hiding Neeks away in my jacket pocket with his daily supply of candy, I walked out of my room.

I was immediately tackled by my mom, once again, and she squealed happily when she saw the feathers. "Oh, is that an early present from someone? It looks so beautiful!" She said happily, leading me to the kitchen and making me sit down before putting a stack of chocolate chip pancakes in front of me and a neatly wrapped present. "Open your first present before you eat! I'll give you the other two after school."