Memories and Growing Closer

Adrien and I wandered around for a few more hours, talking and just playing around. We lost track of time, and it was almost surprising how neither of our miraculouses beeped since it grew later into the evening. We were the only ones awake, now, aside from anyone on a night shift. Currently we were wandering somewhere along the length of the Seine River, and I was balancing along the bridge rail as we crossed it, holding my arms out to balance myself.

"Alright, Adrien. Tell me one of your favorite memories from when you were little." I said, smiling at him with a toothy grin. Adrien hummed, lightly holding his chin in thought. He lit up when he got one, a small "Aha!" escaping him.

"My mom loved to cook and make all sorts of things. She'd kick our chefs out of the kitchen for an hour or two once every week, and she'd take me into the kitchen to let me help her while she cooked." He said fondly, smiling up at the star-filled sky above us. "I'd mix anything she wanted me to mix and would sometimes help her at the stove. Whenever we would make a desert, half the time we'd end up covered in flour or smudges of batter." He laughed as he said the last part, looking over to me after a moment.

"This one time, when I was four, I was helping her make a surprise batch of chocolate peppermint brownies to congratulate Father on something- I.. Don't remember what."

"Wait, your dad likes chocolate peppermint brownies?" I asked with a smile, disbelief in my voice.

"Yes, he does. But when we were there, Mom had me measuring all the ingredients and handing them to her while she mixed them together, while listening to the radio. Did you know that my father is scarily silent when it comes to walking around? Because mom and I, we were lost in our own little world and I guess we must have timed it wrong, or Father had come home early, but he walked into the kitchen to say hi and Mom was so startled she turned turned around so fast, dad's entire face was covered."

Adrien laughed again while I chuckled, slipping my feet off the railing to sit on it instead as I listened. "His face was completely blank, and I remember thinking 'He's going to get mad at us. He's not happy.' and then he had grinned, grabbed the flour bag, and taken a gigantic handful of it before throwing it at mom and I. Mom had squealed and thrown some back at him before shaking her hair out over me. Then, it had turned into a huge food fight- although it was really only flour and chocolate power we used. That was probably the first and only time the kitchen staff had the courage to scold us for getting the entire kitchen messy and not finish making something."

I laughed, smiling at Adrien as I kicked my feet back and forth over the river. "Wow, so your dad really wasn't always so terrible. That's a refreshing thought."

Adrien shrugged, leaning against the railing next to me. "Yeah, well, I miss the old him. I still don't get why it was such a big change, though. It just... Doesn't make sense." He looked down sadly, almost like a kicked puppy, and I felt my heart ache a little. He shouldn't look like that. He should never look like that.

"...Well, whatever happened to your mom probably hit him hard." I said softly, "He just wants to protect you, but he doesn't understand how. It's scary, I think. Being a single parent. Mom was terrified for multiple reasons after my accident. She's a lot better now, but for a while we were both pretty screwed up. Our old neighborhood didn't help any, either. Everyone kept whispering about what happened and I had nightmares almost constantly- it was not a good time."

Adrien bit his lip, looking over to me warily. "Jasper.... W-what exactly happened that time, if you don't mind me asking?" I bit my lip next, before throwing my head back and sighing loudly.

"Well, I guess you do deserve the full story after the Oogie-Boogie incident-" I paused, realizing something as I looked back at Adrien, "By the way, there haven't been any more Akuma like him, have there? Whatever happened to that lady?"