Bonding Moments

I just realized that when I described Jasper's mom in Meeting Momma Mitzy, I said that she had him when she was 24 and was currently 37. That would make Jasper 13. I don't know how I messed that up, but Jasper is supposed to be 14 going on 15. Oops. I'm going to go fix that now, but I just thought I'd let you guys know about the change.

About an hour after Neeks told me a little of his story, mom came into the room after knocking on the door, a plate in her hands with a simple ham and cheese sandwich in her hands. "Hey, Jaspie. Feel any better?" She asked softly, using an old nickname she had given me when I was younger, walking over and setting the plate in front of me as she pulled over a chair to sit next to me.

I took the small notebook I placed next to me and started writing my response. "I feel fine, mom. Thank you for the sandwich."

"No problem, baby." She sighed and pat my knee softly. She looked a little uncertain about something, biting her lip and just giving off an uncomfortable vibe. I turned my notebook back to me and wrote my question.

"What's on your mind?"

Mom read it and bit her lip a little harder, running a hand through her long black hair. "Jasper, what's your opinion on that one superhero- Wolven?" I tensed slightly and bit the inside of my cheek, shrugging slightly before motioning for her to continue. "Well, I was just... just thinking- he acts so much like you did before your accident! He can dance, and he smiles and laughs and his voice expresses so much.... And he even looks like you! Isn't that strange? It-It was so strange... I almost burst into tears when I saw his smile..." Her embarrassed and uncertain smile turned sad as she looked down, eyes starting to tear up. I tensed a little more and quickly hugged her, pulling her close so her head rested on my shoulder. I rubbed her back as she hugged me, not sure what else to do.

"He reminds me of you so much, Jaspie!" She sobbed softly, making my heart break a little bit. "I love how you are now, but whenever I heard him talk, or laugh, in those news reports or the ladyblog videos- it just reminds me of you and it makes me miss those days- when we didn't have to be afraid! When you weren't scared and could dance and not be short of breath." Mom moved away and held her head in her hands, a loud sob escaping her. "I'm such a terrible mother for even thinking that!" She wailed, looking almost picturesque as she held her head in her hands, her wavy hair curtailing her as she curled in on herself, late afternoon light trickling in through the curtains in my room and causing a halo effect around her.

My heart broke at the sight and I frowned, shaking my head even though she couldn't see it. She had no reason to feel that she was a terrible mother. Even I felt that way sometimes, and I was also the person who was causing her to feel this way. I hugged her tightly, shaking my head. I lifted her head up gently and mouthed, "You aren't a terrible mother. It's okay to feel that way."

She smiled, still crying and sniffling softly as she moved to wipe her tears away. She laughed faintly, shaking her head slightly. I offered her a tissue and she took it gratefully, dabbing at the corner of her eyes. "When did you become such a mature boy?" She teased lightly, making me smile and shrug slightly.

"When the best mother in the world raised me?" I wrote with a sly grin, making her blush and laugh again.

"Aw, you flatter me." She hugged me gently again, resting her chin on my head. "I love you, Jasper."

I drew a heart on her back then a U and the number two, smiling and hugging her a bit tighter. We stayed like that for a few seconds longer, mom running her hand through my hair and I held her tightly, sighing happily and nuzzling her shoulder gently.

When she pulled away, she sighed and dabbed at her eyes again with the tissue, clearing her throat slightly. "Well, I apologize for throwing that on you so suddenly, I just... I panicked when I heard that you had gotten caught by the Akuma and thought I would actually lose you this time if the heroes didn't get there in time."