The Start of My Unease

"You lay a hand on my partner, and you're gone. Got it?"

The look in her eyes was scary. I didn't even know her and I had only met her yesterday but I just knew that that look was not supposed to be there. She looked at me like she was prepared to kill me if I made one wrong move, her mouth a firm line, her blue eyes looking like an icy fire and her eyebrows were pointed downwards to show her contempt. Her eyes bore into me and I knew that if looks could kill, I would already be dead.

I immediately cowered under her gaze, ears flat against my head. "Y-Yes ma'am." I whimpered, shrinking my form and showing her dominance by placing myself below her eye level. The look didn't leave, and out of habit I flinched and closed my eyes.

When nothing came at me I opened them again and saw Ladybug looking at me as if waiting for an answer, back at eye level with me. I wasn't cowering beneath her, and the previous look was gone, replaced with a look of disapproval and wariness, but also worry. There was no longer a look of murder in her eyes. Had I imagined the whole thing?

I stared at her, waiting for the murder to return in her eyes. Nothing returned, but her worry only seemed to grow.

"Are... Are you okay?"

I slowly nodded, and she didn't look convinced. Neeks was nagging me, telling me to hurry and catch up to Chat. My brain had me frozen on the spot, trying to process that my mind had replaced Ladybug's gaze with one I had hoped was long forgotten.

After another moment that seemed to drag on like years, I quickly turned and jumped away. I looked for a gleam of silver, or the familiar shine that seemed to come with Chat's bodysuit as I tried to find him. I looked around the dark city, and my nerves were on high. My throat burned with phantom pain, choking any words I could created as the sound attempted to form. Memories tried to bubble their way to the surface, tried to force their way into my brain. I couldn't deny I was shaking a little. I had to get away from myself, I needed that black cat to talk to me and smile and laugh and remind me that now I'm safe without even realizing what he was doing.

Was I having a panic attack? Not yet.
Am I about to start having one? I wouldn't doubt it.

I leapt across another roof, eyes darting around frantically, looking for a sign of the superhero. Then I saw a glimpse of black on a few rooftops over, and heard my name. "Wolven!"

"Chat Noir...." I visibly sagged, part of my panic gone now that I had found the person I needed. I was still on high alert, but I wasn't as bad as I had felt before. His eyes filled with worry as he came closer, I could see the words forming on his lips before he even said them.

"I'm okay, everything's fine.... I just got a little spooked.... Hallucinated a little, if you will." I laughed weakly and pressed the heel of my hands into my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"That doesn't sound okay to me... Are you sure you want to do patrol?"

I nodded quickly, smiling at him as I lowered my hands. "Yes... Please, Chat... I'm okay, just take me on your usual route. I think I'll head home after that." My voice sounded tired, I couldn't deny that I was tired. Everything suddenly felt jumbled in my head and I briefly wondered if the medication I had been on hadn't worked as well as we had thought. But then I wondered if I even needed it as Wolven.

Chat didn't look convinced that I was okay, but he shrugged it off and nodded. "Alright. But let me know if you want to stop and head home for the day. I can always finish by myself."

"Right. Got it." I tried to reassure him with a smile, but I think it came out as more of a grimace. After giving me another worried look, Chat took my wrist and looked around. "Alright. Follow me." He extended his staff and I jumped as he lifted off into the air, which was definitely more difficult than it looked. As we landed on the next roof top he continued to pull me along, and I followed him with slight difficulty. "Chat, as much as I enjoy being with you, I don't think it's very smart to hold onto me while running. It's kind of difficult."

He stopped and let go, looking a little surprised at his own action. "Oh, sorry... I didn't realize I was still holding onto your wrist." He laughed and rubbed the back of his head, smiling apologetically. It made me smile, and eventually I laughed, too. "It's okay, silly kitty. Now come on, let's finish patrol before it gets any later, yeah? We don't want anyone getting suspicious if we show up in front of people looking like we came back from the dead." I looked around and noticed that we were by my school, and I stared at it, still not quite understanding the structure of the building. The gym was right in the center of the school, and the school was a square with an open roof over the gym. The doors went from the floor to what felt like the ceiling, and practically took up half a wall in some places. No matter how hard I would try, I don't think I'd ever understand it. Maybe it was normal in this part of the world.

We patrolled the area around school a little longer before my necklace started to beep. "Oh, looks like I have to go. I'll see you and Ladybug tomorrow, okay Kitkat?" I stopped following Chat and he stopped as well, turning to face me. He still looked worried, and it made me feel bad. "You know, Wolven... If it's too much for you to come on patrol at any time, you don't have to force yourself to come. Ever since Ladybug spoke to you, you've been white as a ghost." He walked over and placed a hand on my head, between my ears. I let out a quiet surprised sound, my ears going down slightly to accommodate his hand. "I don't like seeing you like this. Your mental health is important, Wolfy."

I stared up at him for a few moments, pretty sure my cheeks had a small dusting of pink on them, before nodding. "Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Night, Chat Noir."

He dropped his hand and smiled. "Goodnight, Wolven. I'll see you later." As he said that, he went away, going to the next roof and the one after it. I waited until he was out of sight before going to my home, climbing in through the window and detransforming. Neeks flew out from my necklace and I caught him, setting him on the small pillow next to mine and getting him a piece of candy from my pocket. He took it gratefully and began nibbling on it as I got ready for bed. I changed out of my dirty clothes and put them in my hamper, pulling on pajama pants and running a hand through my hair as I sat on the edge of my bed. I reached over my nightstand and grabbed the small orange bottle of pills, bringing it close as I laid down, studying the instructions to see if I had taken the right dosage.

"Are you okay, Jasper?" I felt Neeks' fur brush against my neck and I reached up to scratch his head, shrugging slightly.

"Did you hallucinate again? Have you heard voices?"

I made the "sort of" gesture with my hand, and he flew up closer to the bottle of pills. He hummed, a paw in his chin as he read over the instructions.

"I think you took less than you were supposed to this morning when you were rushing. You need two pills in order to last the day since it's not that bad usually, right?" I nodded and set my pills back on my nightstand and turn off the light as I got under my covers. I rolled onto my side and placed my hand near Neeks' pillow, my fingers touching the edge of the pillow. "Goodnight, Jasper. I'll see you in the morning." Neeks nuzzled my cheek and I smiled, feeling Neeks curl up on his pillow, his tail brushing against my fingers to let me know he was there.

I fell asleep that night with thoughts prodding the back of my mind.