Mischeif Night Surprise

It's been a month since the incident with the radioactive tentacle monster, and Halloween was right around the corner; only a day away. Everyone was happy and excited, some people talking about what they were going to be and others deeming to keep it a secret. Personally, I was thinking about either cosplaying as Prussia from the anime Hetalia, or maybe doing some sort of vampire or werewolf thing. For the entire time I'd known Neeks, he'd wanted me to dress in specific garb that I, quite frankly, didn't want to touch since it didn't feel like my place. It did make me curious about one thing, though: why did he want to dress me in such a way to begin with?

 But that was a question for another day.

What no one realized, was that today was going to be one of the worst days ever for what may as well have been the entire city- or that a new chapter in their story had begun; exposing secrets and making the lives of their superheroes even more difficult than before.

The worst thing about today, I felt, would most definitely be that Ladybug was stuck fighting off other people's fears that continued to morph into her own fears of Adrien Agreste and her friends- my friends- ridiculing her and hating her, that Chat was in much the same boat, fighting off his own fears that were of Ladybug laughing in his face and full on despising him, and that I was stuck facing down this disgusting, creepy black blob of an Akuma; hunched back, glowing red eyes and sharp, pointy teeth curled into a smirk, that was staring at me like I was his next meal, and he was going to savor every last bit of me, inside and out, that called himself the Oogie-Boogie Man.

--------------

The day had started off like any other, with mom helping me get my hair more neat and tidy, with the added addition that she asked if I was willing to let her apply concealer under my eyes to cover just how bad my dark circles were getting, and heading to school a little later than normal. I talked to Nathanael and a few other kids in my class while waiting for Adrien and the others to arrive, not having talked to most of them in quite a while because of how busy I had become. Akuma attacks had started picking up again, and I was trying hard not to seem off even though I was getting pretty exhausted.

I've known since the first time I fought with the superheroes, that his power and my transformation were different than the others. Since a month ago, I've known that my power and transformation focused on the energy I could give him, and in turn, Wolven's transformation could be just as strong as the others, if not more so. That was why I could heal. Why my transformation didn't run out while the others did after five minutes from using their special abilities. Why my right eye was blue with a scar across it. It was a give and take relationship, and if you pushed the human body too far, too fast, then it would start to take its toll.

Truthfully, my mind was becoming muddled. I kept seeing him, felt like I was being watched, and the burn and bubbling in my throat only grew as the day wore on. Neeks wanted to stop, wanted to slow down. He wanted me to take a break from being a hero, and I agreed, if only because that look of terror, fear mixed with worry he wore settled itself so uncomfortably in my stomach I couldn't not agree.

It was clear to me, as it has been for a while now, that the give and take for this relationship was not something Neeks enjoyed, either.

Curiosity bubbled its way up from the darkest corners of my mind, making me want to ask about his previous holders, what they were like, why they were special.

The darker thought of how he lost them stung itself into my tongue, so I kept my mouth firmly shut, as always, and continued on. I made a promise not to speak about it, so I wouldn't. I wasn't going to put Neeks through what so many had done to me. I wasn't going to invade, or remind him of the past. If he wanted to share, he would.