Making Friends: Part One

(Picture is of Neeks. It's not that good but I felt very proud after drawing it~ He's supposed to look more wolf-ish)

The next morning I got up on time and took a shower after brushing my teeth, thinking back to last night's hallucination. Her face looked so much like his had, that it was burned into my brain and refused to leave. Ladybug wasn't him though. He was in another country, six feet underground and quite possibly rotting in the deepest pits of hell or maybe even rotting away in Tartarus from the Greek myths. Either way, he couldn't touch me here. He couldn't touch me again.

I sighed and grabbed the pill bottle from the sink as I stepped out of the shower, not looking in the mirror. If I did before taking my pills, I would see him instead of my reflection. I take my pills and gulp them down with water, keeping my eyes away from the mirror as I brushed my hair with Neeks' help.

"Jasper, I want you to be careful, okay? Hawkmoth can't target you because I'm here, but I don't want you to be depressed or so lost in thought over why you hallucinated him anyway. I don't like seeing my special pup sad." He bumped his head against my cheek and I smiled, cradling him close before letting go and walking out of the bathroom. I pulled on some clothes, my necklace, and some black converse, before grabbing my bag and walking out of my room.

"Good morning, sweetie. Do you want some breakfast?" My mom asked as I walked out of my room, her head poking around the corner of the hallway. I nodded and walked closer, frowning when I saw her frown. "Jasper, your hair is still really uneven.  Come here and let me brush it for you." I nodded once again and went to her, closing my eyes as she grabbed the comb she kept in her pocket and started to brush my hair out as evenly as she could.

"Are you having fun at school?" She asked, running her hand through my hair as she looked for any knots. Her touch was warm and comforting. She was safe. I shrugged, a scratchy noise leaving my throat as I tried to express my happiness and thankfulness as she continued to fix my hair. I could make some sounds. I really could. But most days I figured that if I can't talk, I may as well stay eternally silent. It hurt to make sounds, anyway.

"Have you made any friends?" She stopped fixing my hair, giving it a gentle ruffle to make it a little unruly but not as crazy as it had been before she fixed the terrible job Neeks and I had done. I thought long and hard about her question, following her into the kitchen where she began to make me something to eat. Once again, I shrugged.

Did I make friends?
Is Nathanael my friend?
What about those four kids?

I grabbed my notebook, beginning to write a more solid response for mom.

"The boy who sits next to me is really nice. He gives me space when I need it and doesn't push for questions. He's a really good draw-er, mom. I bet you would get along with him."

I tapped the pencil in my hand on the counter to get her attention, letting her read it. She laughed ever so slightly and smiled in that way only mothers can. "Draw-er isn't a word, baby. They are either artists, illustraitors, or painters."

"But the word "artist" applies to many creative things, so why can't draw-er be one? Because that's what they do; they draw." I wrote.

"I think it'd probably be because it's a little awkward to say and its spelled exactly like drawer. I don't think people would understand as much as you hope they would."

I pouted a little at her words before shrugging, "Whatever. Either way he's crazy good at drawing and even has his own little story drawn out with him as a superhero! It's really cool!"

Mom set the plate of pancakes down in front of my and I began to eat as mom read what I wrote, and she nodded. "Bring him over some time. Maybe I could give him some pointers!" She smiled brightly and ruffled my hair again, before walking towards her room. "You have fifteen minutes to finish eating, unless you want to be late!" She called with the goodbye wave she always gives me before getting another hour or two of sleep and then jumping right into her work.