Ashley Curtis, Pony's sister - chapter 1

I'm Ashley Curtis. I'm Sodapop and Darry's kid sister and Ponyboy's big sister. I move out when I got a full scholarship to college for Artistic ability. I just got home and Pony grabbed me in a huge hug, pulling me inside. I walked inside, expecting to see dinner on the table and hear the radio on. What I did see was a little kid, I'm guess about Ponyboy's age, sitting on the couch, avoiding eye contact; a guy wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt, arm wrestling a guy I knew, Steve, Soda's best friend; and a guy looking at me, with big eyes and his mouth hanging open so wide that I thought he caught a few flies. What did I miss?!!!

I leave for 4 years and I miss... this. How do I miss this much? Alright, Darry has some explaining to do!

"Darry?" I called, causing everyone in the room to look up at me. It was very uncomfortable. "Who are your friends?"

"Friends?" He looked at me funny and began  looking around the room, "Oh, you mean these guys. Yeah, the hoodlums. Soda, introduce her to everybody."

Soda ran up to me and slung his arm over my shoulder."Okay," he said pointing to the shifty eyed kid on the couch, avoiding eye contact, "That's Johnnycakes, nice enough kid." Johnnycakes(Soon to be called Johnny) slugged him in the arm for teasing him. Soda whispered in my ear, "He's one of my favorites."

Then he turned to the Steve and the weird, tall guy he was arm wrestling. "That's Two-bit and Steve, but you already know Steve." Two-bit waved to me and I rolled my eyes, jokingly.

Then, he gestured toward the creepiest one of all, the guy eye balling me. His icy blue eyes pouring into my brown fiery ones.(Soda and I have the same eyes and they always remind Darry of our mothers eyes. I miss our mother) "That's Dallas Winston, Dally for short." He said. He looked Dallas in the eye, stern faced, "I don't like that one. Be sure to stay away from him, he's bad news." Dally ignored him and winked at me, pretending to put up a phone to his ear and mouthing the words "Call me". I frowned, rolling my eyes as if to say that I was not amused. Soda elbowed him in the ribs, making me feel kinda bad for him, but I didn't show it.

"Great first impression, Dally." I thought, sitting next to Pony and Johnny on the couch.

"Okay." Darry yelled from the kitchen, "Who's ready for dinner?"

Everyone got up and started running toward the kitchen. "Wow." I thought, "I knew Darry was a good cook, but these kids act like they haven't eaten in weeks. Don't their parents feed them?" I soon realized that, for some of them, the answer was no. There parents don't feed them. When I finally figured this out, I decided not to be so hard on them. After all,... they were greasers, too. No!... They were people, too.