The first day on the job. - chapter 59

I walked up to Dally and tried to shake him awake. "Oh, Dally." I said in a light sing-songy voice. "Wake up."

His eyes fluttered open. "Am I in heaven?" he asked, squinting.

I chuckled and smirked. "Do ya think that's where you're goin', bad boy?"

He stood up and I ruffled his hair.

"Head to the kitchen. I have to wake up the rest of the guys. You go eat some breakfast."

He shook his head. "Nah, I'll help ya."

I pushed him toward the kitchen. "Oh, not that again." I smirked. "Last time, you scared the hell outta me!"

He chuckled, making his way to the kitchen. "To shay." He went into the kitchen and I began shaking people awake.

When everyone was up, I herded them all into the kitchen and we all dug in. Well, all except Steve. He was leaning against the wall, staring off into space.

I walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up, not smiling, and asked, "What?"

I shrugged. "Sodapop was worried 'bout ya. What's wrong?" Lie. Sodapop didn't ask about him, but I wanted to know. I don't care about Steve or anything, but I was curious.

He shrugged. "Don't know." He then seemed to realize something. "Hey. You weren't talkin' to Sodapop!" He put his finger in my face.

I swatted his hand away. "Yeah, I was!"

He smirked. "Nope. Not once, today." He pointed at Ponyboy. "Pony woke him up."

I then made my own realization. I smirked. "Hey. How would you know that? You been stalkin' me?!"

He frowned. "No!"

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever." I walked away. I could feel him watchin' me as I sat back down.

Sodapop's POV

Ashley sat down. She had been talkin' Steve. She despises Steve and doesn't usually like to talk to him.

When she sat back down next to me, she angrily crossed her arms over her chest. I put an arm around her. "Hey, sis. What's wrong?"

She started grinding her teeth. "Your friend's a-"

I put my hand over her mouth, cutting her off. "I know, you don't like Steve. Sorry 'bout him."

She smiled. "How do you put up with him, Soda?"

I chuckled. "It's hard, but I just do. Maybe, someday, you'll be able to 'put up with him', too."

She chuckled, putting her arm around me. "I doubt it, Soda."

Ashley's POV

After breakfast, the guys all headed out to work and school.

Darry, Soda, and Steve had just walked out the door when I had an idea. I ran outside after them.

Ran outside and when they turned around and saw me, I said, "Hey, guys?"

Steve sneered. "What is it, princess?"

Sodapop elbowed him in the rib. Then, he turned to me and smiled. "Yeah, Ash?"

I scratched the back of my head. "Well, I was just thinking, I have nothing to do today. And I need a job." I looked down at my shoes, them becoming surprisingly interesting. "Does the DX have an opening?"

Soda smiled. "Well, kid. How 'bout you come to work with us today and if you do good, I'll ask the ol' boss man to give ya a job."

I smiled. "Thanks, Sodapop."