I'm so busted. - chapter 15

Dallas had left to get something from the store before. Probably cigarettes or something, I guessed. Sooner or later, I heard a knock at the door. I wondered why the person was knocking. Everyone knows that we kept the door unlocked.

"Come in." I called. He opened the door. Dally opened the door. He had a flower in one hand and was holding the door with the other. He closed the door and started toward me.

"Hi, Ashley." he said in a soft, calm, soothing voice. "You ready for our...?" he started coughing as if he was nervously chocking on his words.

"Date?" I said, continuing his sentence. "Yeah, I'm ready. Are you?" I said, sitting on the couch with my arms crossed. He sat down next to me and handed me the flower. I knew that it was from the the neighbors yard, but it was nice of him to do it, anyway.

"I don't know." he said, looking me in the eyes. For the first time, I looked into his eyes and saw him as the hero, the good guy. The type of guy that my brothers would want to see me with some day. "Am I?"

I didn't answer. I just smiled. He leaned closer, as if he was about to kiss me. I put the remote in front of my face. He opened his eyes when he kissed the remote. I made a face that told him that I was sorry, but I still wasn't ready. I nervously giggled and he just looked at me, smiling, again. I turned on the TV. I wasn't ready to kiss him on our first date, surely not in the first five minutes.

"What movie is this?" he asked, watching the opening credits.

"Bonnie and Clyde." I said.

"Hmmm..." He looked up. "I don't think I've seen that movie."

"Pony and I used to watch this movie when Darry and Soda were out. We watched it three times, the first time Soda went ta jail. It stopped us from drowning in tears that our brother was actin' like a hood."

He grabbed my hand, looking me in the eye. "What's it about?"

"Two people, hoods even, named Bonnie and Clyde. They had a few friends, a gang. They didn't abide by the law. They liked robbing stores and gas stations together. Like typical greasers would. Ya know?"

"Yes, yes I believe I do,... Bonnie..." He grinned that maniacal grin that I loved.

"Good job, Clyde. Good job." I said, putting my head on his shoulder.

We watched the movie. Only occasionally moving. Three days... It's only been three days since I met Dallas. Are we going too quick?

He took a piece of my hair, gently and began twirling it around his finger.

Nah,... Three days was just enough.

Then, everything changed as the door crashed open and we were greeted by my eavesdropping brother, Darrel.

"Ashley Melanie Curtis!!!!!!!!!! What the hell are you doing?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Uh oh.

"Darry!" I yelled in shock. "I-I thought you were staying at work late? W-why are you already back?" Dally and I stood back up, horrified. Dally unraveled my hair from his finger, quickly.

"I DID!!!!!!!!" he screamed. He showed us his watch. It was 11:30 at night. Dallas and looked guilty, I can tell.

He turned to Dallas. "And YOU!!!!!!!!!" he yelled, scaring Dally. Dallas was quivering worse than Johnny when you sneak up on him, dressed as a Soc. "I THOUGHT I told you to LAY OFF MY SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He shoved Dally, sending him crashing back on top of the couch. Dallas was sure scared. Darry didn't flinch. He just looked at Dally. Soda walked in, notice that Dally was in trouble and rushing in to save him. I would have done it but I was frozen with fear and Darry had me cornered.

Soda ran in front of Dally, so Darry wouldn't hit him. "Woah woah woah." he managed, out of breath.  "Wha-what's going on here?"

I went to say something, though, I don't know what I wanted to say, when Darry cut me off screaming, "BLASTED!!!!!!!! DALLAS WINSTON, HE MADE A MOVE ON ASHLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Soda's expression instantly changed. It stiffened. He turned toward Dally. Dally looked away, scratching his head.

Soda was done helping Dallas. He put his hands up, walking out of Darry's way. Sodapop grabbed my wrist and began pulling me upstairs.

When I was half way up the stairs, I pulled away from my brother and yelled, "DALLAS!!!!!"

Sodapop tighten his grip on my hand. And continued to pull. Dally looked up at me and smiled. In an instant, Darry slapped him, leaving a huge red mark on his face. Dally just stood there, taking the punishment.

So gallant... My Dally... So gallant...