Darry's worried... Again... - chapter 51

Dally and I pulled up to the park after a long, silent car ride. Both of us hadn't stopped blushing from what Darry had said. And in front of the guys, too.

We walked side by side through the park. It was real pretty out. The sun had already set and you could see the stars clearly. They shined up there, seeming as if they were watching us. (I had a feeling that the toughest one of them was laughing at us some how.)

As we walked, neither of us looked at each other. Until he grabbed my hand in his. I felt a shiver go down my spine. I looked at him and smiled.

We stood in silence until he finally asked, "He knew?"

I nodded. "He knew."

I paused. "For how long."

I bit my lip. "He knew the day of."

His eyes went big. "Huh?"

I nodded. "He made fun of me about it. But he didn't get mad. He just made a joke."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know. I guess I thought you wouldn't care... Do you?"

He paused, again. "No... But, tell me next time... Okay?"

I nodded. Followed by more awkward silence.

After a while, I just said, "Wanna head back?"

He nodded and we started heading toward the house.

When we got there, I sat down on the couch and put an arm around Two-bit. He was watching Mickey Mouse. "Hey Two-bit. What's up?"

He grinned. "Nothing. What's up with you and Dallas?"

I rolled my eyes. "Goody. I have another annoying older brother." I said sarcastically.

Two-bit smirked. "Ya know, they have a law that says, 'You may not have a relationship with Dallas Winston unless you have at least'" he counted everyone in the room expected for Dallas and I. "'6 brothers looking after you.' If I am correct." He pretended to push up a pair of imaginary glasses on his face like a nerd.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. Sure. I mean, I know he has a few laws about him, but I don't think that's one of 'em."

A few guys chuckled. Dally rolled his eyes playfully. "Very funny. Pick on the guy who's been in trouble with the fuzz just a few times more than y'all."

"A few?!" Sodapop asked. "A million times!!!"

I started to think. "Ya know, now that I think about it, I really haven't seen you get in trouble with the cops, yet."

Steve smirked, elbowing Two-bit. "'Cause you give him a reason not to."

Two-bit chuckled. "Yeah. He hasn't been going to Buck's party's, neither ." He chuckled. "What a coincidence." he said, sarcasm dripping off of every word.

I rolled my eyes. "Quit makin' fun of him, guys. What? Do you want him to get in trouble?"

Two-bit shrugged. "It's just unusual."

I stood up. "Ya know what? I'm going upstairs. You guys can talk about us behind our backs. It's kinda getting on my nerves having to listen to it."

I grabbed Dallas's arm so he would follow me up the stairs. He reluctantly followed.

We went into my room. I fell asleep quickly and Dally was looking out the window at the night sky as I did.

Johnny's POV

Ashley and Dally went upstairs. The rest of the gang exchanged glances.

I sat up straight and said, "She's a good influence on ol' Dal."

Darry slowly nodded. "Sure is." He grinned. "That's my little girl."

I smiled. "We're lucky that it didn't happen the other way around."

Darry's eyes shot up at me and he frowned. "What?" He nearly groaned.

I froze. "W-well, I was just thinking,... What if Dally rubbed off on her instead of the other way around?"

Darry's frown grew. Then, his expression softened. "... What if... He still does?..."

Two-bit went up to Darry and sat back down next to him. He put his arm around his friend. "Don't worry, Darrel. She's a smart broad. He won't wear off on her."

I smiled at Darrel. "Yeah, Darry. She'll be fine. I'm like a brother to Dallas and he doesn't wear off on me." I stood and made my way toward the door. "Well, I'll see y'all in a minute. I gotta have a smoke."

Darry sorta gasped as I walked outside. Sodapop put his arm around him and tried to calm him down. I didn't understand until I walked outside, lit up a cig and leaned against the side of the house cooly. I looked at myself and gasped, myself. Maybe he had rubbed off on me a little.