Wakey, wakey. Eggs and greasers. - chapter 5

I woke up around 8:30am. I was the only one awake. I could even here Steve snoring. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a few pans. I wasn't making eggs. Darry would make eggs, if he woke up first and so would Pony. Soda would make a cake, if there wasn't one in the ice box.(he loves chocolate cake) If I got up first, which I usually did, I made pancakes. My brothers love it when I make pancakes. Sometimes, they would pretend that they were asleep until I got up and started making pancakes. I made them the same way that my mom did.

I grabbed ever egg in the fridge, every sack of flour in the cabinet and a huge box of sugar and baking soda. I got a few other ingredients, too, like milk and butter. I also got a tube of vanilla extract, which I like to add for flavor.

While I mixed the batter, I got out two gallons of chocolate milk and an aspirin for Pony. I always hid one under the table for him because he snuck one in the morning and if I didn't give him one first thing in the morning, he'd have three extra that afternoon. I started putting the pancake batter on the pans while someone tumbled down the stairs. I thought it was Ponyboy. Ponyboy was always groggy in the morning. His brothers and I would have to tickle him until he woke up.

"I'm making pancakes." I called, "Wanna help?"

"Sure!" called a voice that was definitely not Ponyboy.

Dallas came inside. Oh, glory.😒

He grabbed a pan with a pancake cooking on it. He pulled back, the pan scorched his hand.

I put a rubber handle on the pan and handed him a band aid. "You're not supposed to touch the pan with out gloves or a handle cover."

"Or big brown eyes?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes, smiling.

We finished twenty pancakes in ten minutes. We had to make about double that to feed everyone in the house. They could eat more than an entire army.

By the time we made thirty, Two-bit was downstairs, making fun of Dally for acting like a "master chef". When Two-bit walked in, Dally had just flipped a pancake that went a foot in the air and caught it in the pan. Two-bit started laughing like crazy and if I wasn't there, Dallas would have pulled a switch blade on him. When Two-bit calmed down, he started helping us cook.(I'm guessing out of pity) In no time, we were out of batter. We went up stairs to wake everyone up. Two-bit and Dally went to wake up the boys in Darry's room and I went to wake up Soda, Pony, and Johnny. Once I got there, Ponyboy was lying peacefully with his eyes closed. Sodapop had his arm around Ponyboy, probably because Ponyboy was shivering. Johnny was on the arm chair, curled up in a ball. He looked frightened. His eyes were closed, but I could imagine them. I understood why Dally couldn't yell at Johnny. I walked up to Ponyboy. I put my hand on his shoulder and he woke up, he was always a light sleeper. He closed his eyes again. He groaned, and told me that he wanted to sleep in a groggy voice.

"Oh well," I said, "I'll just wake Soda up. You sleep." He nodded and drifted back to sleep.

I woke Sodapop, whispering one thing in his ear, "Pancakes" and he nearly leaped out of bead. I pointed toward Pony and he got the hint. We sat on both sides of him and Soda did a silent count down. When he reached zero, we tickled Ponyboy until he was begging for mercy and out of bed. With all of the noise, Johnny had woke up and was laughing while he watched us tickle Pony. Soda waved him over and, when he least expected it, Soda started tickling him, too. We were having so much fun, until the rest of the guys came in, catching us off guard. They were laughing at us until I took out my eight inch switch blade. That sure as hell shut them.

We all went down stairs. Ponyboy had his aspirin and we all swallowed about five pancakes each and drank ten glasses of chocolate milk each. When we were done, we all only had one thing on our mind.

Football.