Really, Darrel?!!!!!!!(again) - chapter 61

(A/N: By the way, I put that picture up because I felt like Darry kinda deserved it for spreading his little rumor... Ha!)

When I came back downstairs, Steve was on the couch, eating a piece of cake. I gave a slight grin. "Hey, Steve." I said. "What's up?"

He looked up from his cake, chocolate all over his face. "Oh. Hey, Ash. Heard you been mad at Darry. True?"

I groaned. "Oh my god. Who told you? 'Cause somebody's been telling everybody. And I want a new punching bag."

Steve chuckled. "Soda told me."

I smirked and called up the stairs, "Punching bag? I mean, Sodapop? Come down here. I need to ask ya somethin'."

Steve chuckled as Soda ran down the stairs in his boxers. Soda gave me a stern look. Well, as stern as Sodapop can get. He said, "Go ahead. Tell me. I assume that it's about you and Dallas."

I slapped my brother across the face. "Sodapop? Why you been tellin' everybody 'bout what Darry said?"

He rubbed his cheek and said, "Okay. First of all,... Ow!... And second, Steve pried it outta me!"

I turned to Steve. Steve grinned and said, "I asked what day it was an' he blurted it out. Then, I started laughing. Then, he told me not to tell ya... Oops." He explained it as if he had been retracing his steps.

Afterward, Soda whacked his friend upside the head. I chuckled. I started toward the staircase. "I'm gonna go ask Superman if he's ready to leave for work."

I hurried up the stairs toward Darry's room. I knocked on the door and heard a loud "Come in."

It was obviously someone doing a Darry impression. And not a very good one, may I add. And I think I know who it was.

Darry's POV

I was in my room, packing up my tools for work, when I heard a knock on the window. I looked out the window to see a familiar face. I smirked, opened the window, and said, "Bud, wrong room. Ashley's room is down the hall."

Dallas chuckled. He said, "No, Darry. I'm here to talk to you."

I frowned. "Oh,... You heard what I said, too."

Dally frowned. "No. What did you say?"

I bit my lip. "Um... Well,..."

I explained what I had been saying about him and Ashley. I expected him to get angry... But he didn't... He cracked up laughing.

"What's so funny, Dal?" I asked, sternly. Wondering if he was laughing 'cause it was more than just a rumor.

He stopped laughing and just smirked. "Darrel, why don't ya trust me with my sister?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You didn't! Please tell me you didn't!"

He threw his arms up, defensively and said, "Alright, alright. Don't worry. I didn't. She didn't. We didn't. Okay?"

I let out a breath of relief and said, "Oh, thank the lord!!!"

He chuckled. "Darry, you didn't answer my question. Why don't you trust me?"

I bit my lip once more. I heaved out the words, "I'm just worried 'bout her, Dallas!..." I looked down and then quickly back up at him. As if I was worried that if I took my eyes off of him, when I looked up, I would see them married with 3 children. Thank god, Dallas hated children... But, Ashley loved 'em... "Should I be?"

He smiled. Not a smirk. Not a grin. But, a genuine smile. "I love her." he said. "And, I would never hurt her. Don't worry, Darrel."

I gave him the same genuine smile and whispered, "Thanks, Dallas."

Then, there was a knock at the door. Probably Ashley. Before I could say anything, Dally did his best impression of me and said, "Come in."

I chuckled as Ashley walked through the door, wearing her DX shirt. She had her hand on her hip and was smirking at the both of us. She playfully pouted at shrieked the words, "Dallas Winston, you're cheating on me with my own brother?!"

The 3 of us chuckled at her little joke as she sat down beside him on the bed, putting an arm around him. She gave him a peck on the cheek and I knew that she only did it to mess with me. I rolled my eyes.

I explained to her that I told Dallas 'bout my little... Worry... And I told 'em that I'd kill 'em both if they had a kid before Ashley turned 25. They rolled there eyes and we went downstairs to get ready for work. When we were, I drove Ashley and the guys to the DX.

...The whole time, the whole ride there, and to my job,... I had one thing on my mind.: what I would do if Dally ever... Took it too far... I was worried... Worried 'bout Ashley... Worried 'bout Ponyboy doin' the same thing 'cause his sister was allowed... ... ... But most of all, I was worried about letting my siblings grow up... I had to grow up early 'cause our parents died... I had to act like an adult before I was ready... And, look at me now... I fix roofs for a living, never get a day off, is constantly stressed,... And, on top of the stress from work,... I'm stressed out 'bout my siblings... ... ...

I need to calm down...