Dally and Ashley: International spies... - chapter 31

When I woke up the next morning, Ponyboy was in my room, looking for something.

"Hey, Pony. Whatcha lookin' for?"

He looked at me and smiled. "I was just looking for that old scrap book we made a few years back." he said. "Is it in here?"

"On the shelf." I said. He grabbed it off the shelf and opened it. "Why ya need it, anyway?" I asked.

He started blushing, again. "Cherry asked me to bring it to the park today. I'm meeting her there at 5."

"Really?" I asked. He looked down, kinda embarrassed. "You got a date?"

He socked me in the arm. "It's not a date. Just 2 friends hanging out."

I put my arm around my little brother. "I'll help you find something to wear."

He took my arm off of his shoulder. "No thanks." he said. "No offense, but if I needed help finding something to wear, I'd ask Sodapop."

I rolled my eyes. "Suit your self."

Pony went to his room to get ready and I went downstairs. I picked up the phone and dialed Dally's number.

"Winston residents." Dally said answering the phone. "The cool one speaking." He sounded half asleep.

"Hey, Dal." I said. "It's Ash."

"Hey, Ash." he said, not sounding tired anymore. "How are ya?"

"I'm pretty good, but I really need to tell you something about Pony." I whispered.

"What did he do this time?" Dally said, nervous that Ponyboy got into a car accident or something.

"Well, ya know that girl, Cherry Valance? The one who came over my house after I met her at the movies? The Soc?"

"Yeah, I know her." he said. "What about her?"

"Her and Pony are going to the park at five. Pony is even bringing our old scrap book."

The park was only for children and lovers. And Pony hates to be called a child.

"So, Pony's got a date? Good for him."

"I need you to help me spy on him." I blurted out.

"Why?" Dally asked. "Isn't he old enough to go out with her alone?"

I felt a little guilty. "Yeah, but I'm nervous. Once, Sodapop, Steve, and I went to go see a movie. Soda didn't feel to good, so, he left. Steve and I stayed to watch the movie. When Darry found out, he came to the movie and spied on us. I almost killed Steve, 'cause he couldn't shut his trap. But, Darry stopped me. I'm guessing that it won't happen to Pony, but,... Well,... Darry didn't come to make sure that I didn't kill him... He had... Different... Intentions..."

"Oh, so you want to make sure that nothing 'goes wrong', right?"

"Yeah, and I need you to help." I said.

"Why me? Not that I'm not flattered, but why did you ask me instead of Sodapop or Darry?"

"Because Soda would tell me not to do it and Darry would get all mad at Ponyboy. They treat the 2 of us like children. You're the only one who doesn't treat me like a child."

"What about Two-bit? Doesn't he treat you like an adult? I mean, everyone's less childish then he is."

"Yeah, but, if I told him about Pony's date, he would say, 'Coooool! He picked up a broad! I wonder if that girl has any friends for me.' and I don't exactly want him to say that."

Dallas laughed. "Good point." he said. "I'll be right over."

I half expected the Mission Impossible sound track to start playing right then and there.