Uh oh. - chapter 33

That Saturday afternoon, Dally and I walked into the house, holding hands. As we walked through the door, blushing, grinning, and gazing into each other's eyes, Two-bit ran up to us and ran between us shouting, "Third Wheel!!!!" Dally thumped him in the head and grabbed my hand, again.

"Hey!" Darry yelled, walking out of the kitchen. Dally didn't let go of my hand until Darry dragged me away. Darry put his arm around me and asked, "So, what did you do today?" He poked me until I said, "Went to the park. Why?"

Soda stood up and put his arm around me, too. "So, what did ya do at the park?"

I looked at Pony and then looked back at Soda. "Nothing." I stood there as Darry and Sodapop exchanged looks and grins. "What?" I asked. "What is it?"

Ponyboy started blushing.

"Well," Sodapop said, grinning. "Ponyboy said y'all were at Dairy Queen all day. He didn't say anything about the park."

I bit my lip. "Um..." I said, nervous as hell. "Well..."

Darry kneeled down a little so he was around the same hight as Pony and I. "Okay." he said. "Which one of you is lying?"

Ponyboy and I stared at each other in silence. What were we gonna do?

I raised my hand. "I lied. I'm-I'm sorry. I-I just"

Soda looked a bit skeptical. "If you lied,... You must have had a reason... What did you do?"

Uh oh.

I stood there, silent. Dally's eyes were bigger than the wheels on Buck's T-bird. Ponyboy was biting his nails. An old nervous habit.

Darry and Soda took their arms off of me. They backed up and turned toward Dallas. Dally put his hands up, defensively. Darry and Soda looked angry.

Pony ran in front of the 2 boys. "Wait!" he yelled. "I lied! Ashley and Dally didn't do anything wrong! I was at the park! Okay?!"

Soda looked nervous and Darry was still angry. "Why did ya lie to us, kid?" Soda asked, truly upset.

Ponyboy bit his lip and looked down at his shoes. And it wasn't because the shoes were all that interesting. "Um..." Pony said. "I... I was..."

"Out with it." Darry groaned.

Pony looked up at Darry. He just watched him. Then, Darry cocked an eyebrow and Pony shouted, "I-was-on-a date-with-Cherry-and-I-didn't-want-you-to-know-because-I-knew-you-would-get-mad-at-me. But-I-couldn't-leave-Ashley-there-to-get-in-trouble! I-care-about-her-too-much-to-do-that-to-her!" to fast to understand.

"Said it again, but slower." Steve said from the couch. I barely noticed him and Johnny sitting there.

Ponyboy took a deep breath and said, "I was on a date with Cherry and I didn't want you to know because I knew you would get mad at me... But I couldn't leave Ashley there to get in trouble!... I care about her too much to do that to her." He looked down, ashamed.

I tossed Darry the scrapbook. "Don't worry. All they did was read that. They didn't even kiss." Pony started blushing. I had a feeling that I was wrong, but I didn't tell Soda and Darry.

Soda smirked. "How do you know?" he said. Then, I started blushing, too. And so did Dally.

"We was spyin' on 'em." I said, embarrassed.

"Did ya follow em to her house when he dropped her off?" Darry asked, smirking a little. Uh oh.

"Well," I said, my face getting even redder. "No."

Darry turned to Pony. "Pony?" he asked slowly, not grinning as much as before. "Did ya kiss her?"

Pony looked down and nodded.

Soda jumped up in the air. "Woohoo!" he screamed. "My kid brother's got a girlfriend. My kid brother's got a girlfriend." he taunted. He put his arm around Pony and Pony rolled his eyes.

Darry had had enough. He looked angry. "You 2, go to your room. I have to talk to Ashley." They went to there room.

Uh oh.