Party plannin'! - chapter 54

That night, I was on the couch, watching Mickey Mouse with the gang. Dally was still at Buck's place. Johnny and Pony were at the drive in watchin' a movie.

All of a sudden, Johnny and Ponyboy ran through the door. They slammed the door behind them. Johnny looked really upset. Ponyboy was angry.

I looked up at the 2 boys. "What's wrong, guys?"

Johnny's lower lip began to quiver. "It's Dallas... He's in the cooler, again..."

I frowned. "Jail?" I looked down. "Dallas?"

Pony nodded, angrily. "Again!!! He's in the cooler,... Again!!!"

My frown grew and Sodapop put an arm around me. "Don't worry, sis. He's fine." He helped me up. "Come on. Let's go bail him out."

"How much is the bail?" I asked.

Soda shrugged. "Couldn't be much more than $30."

I grabbed my purse and we headed out.

When we got there, they led us toward Dally's cell. It even had his name on. Just to tell you how well known he is around here.

I saw him in the cell and frowned. He looked tough. And kinda scary. He looked up at me and smile. He had been sitting in the corner of the cell, his head down. Now, he stood up and clutched the bars. "Ashley! I'm so sorry. I... I was... I was just walkin' 'round town when a Soc walks up ta me. He starts makin' fun of me. Callin' me soft." He groaned. "That jerk made a fool outa' me." He grinned and held up a fist. "I slashed his tires on his old mans stingray." He cackled. "That twerp learned his lesson."

I frowned at him. He noticed my frown and frowned along with me.

"What's wrong, Ash?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. Now, how much is the bail?" I took out my purse.

"40." he said with a smirk.

I took out 3 fives. "I got 15. Johnny, ya got any?"

Johnny reached into his pocket and took out a few bills. "I got 3. If that helps."

I nodded and took the $3. "Pony, you?"

Pony nodded and handed my $5.50. I grinned at him. "Cool." I turned to Two-bit. "Two? You got?"

He groaned, taking out 5 quarters. "Fine. Here."

He handed it to me and I gave him a thumbs up.

I counted it up. "We got $24.75. Who else?"

Sodapop handed me a five. I thanked him and added it to the pile.

Steve handed me $3 and said, "Ya owe me 3!" to Dallas. Dallas grinned and said, "Sure. I'll get y'all back, soon."

I counted the money once more and announced, "$32.75. We need $7.25."

I turned to Darry and smiled. He rolled his eyes and took out his wallet. "Here." he said, handing me the rest of the money. I thanked him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

I rushed to give in the bail money. They opened the cell and Dallas ran out and hugged me. I hugged him back.

He was quivering. "Don't toughen up, Ashley." he sobbed. "It ain't worth it." His voice went high at the end of the sentence.

I refused to let go of him. "Don't worry, Dal. I won't."

I heard Darry give a huff of relief, but I didn't know why.

We, along with the rest of the gang, walked back out to the car. We all tried to squeeze in because the T-bird got towed. Johnny and Ponyboy had to share a seat and I sat on Dally's lap. Sodapop noticed and told me to sit on his lap instead. I rolled my eyes as he pulled me toward him. Dally pulled me back. I ended sitting half on Soda's lap and half on Dally's.