Game on

The doorbell went and I heard more voices. My phone went. It was my Mum who had texted me.

Mum: Invited Scarlett's family over for dinner. They're all here, come down.

"Oh god, Mum invited them all over, she obviously doesn't know."

"This is going to be a really interesting night." Selena and I ran down the stairs to see Scarlett, Melanie, Hugh (I was guessing) and a boy who looked about 15.

"Hey girls, this is Scarlett and Melanie as you already know, we have Gavin and...." She paused and looked at Hugh.

"Oh, I'm..Hugh, guess you didn't recognise me Stephanie." That's when my Mum realised, and she froze. And that's when Selena and I realised it was more than a crush. She had been in love, she looked like someone had just told her, her grandparents had just risen from the grave to visit her.

"Well, hey since we've got all the names down. Why don't we all make our way through the living room, sit and chat like neighbours and then we'll eat?!" Everyone looked at me and mumbled and nodded, they all moved into the living room.

Selena took them into the living room and I slowly walked down the stairs. I stopped my Mum from following.

"You didn't tell us about him, how much he meant to you."

"I didn't want to explain..he was a big part of my life and..Melanie, just something happened, and she won." She went to move forward but I stopped her. I looked at her.

"He asked you to marry him."

"How did you know that?"

"I can read you Mum, I've known you for a long time. I knew when you were about to tell me about you and Dad getting a divorce. The Selena thing, I didn't read well, but hey." She half laughed and looked at me.

"He did, but I said no, and he had someone on the side anyway."

"You mean Melanie. He was cheating on you and you were just a girl he messed with. He didn't lo.."

"Nina, it's okay. It was years ago."

"It's not okay Mum, he shouldn't have treated you like that and he shouldn't be in this house."

"Hey, is everything okay? Our guests are wondering what's for dinner?" Selena looked at us both. Mum nodded and went into the living room. Selena rushed over and I told her everything I was told.

"Woah, I can't believe that."

"Right?"

"Okay, look, you're sarcastic, and it's cute and funny, but not when you're angry, so please don't say anything to any of them okay?" I mumbled and went into the living room.

"God, it's a little chilly in here. Right Hugh? Little cold, I mean the woman you were going to marry and the woman you did marry are in the same house. That must be a little awkward." The room just went silent. I fell back onto the seat and laughed.

"But hey, who am I to judge awkward situations? I mean, who I am to judge anyone? But I mean, I do judge side dishes, they are just...magnifique.."

"Don't mind her, she has being an idiot syndrome." Selena glared at me. I shrugged and Scarlett looked really confused. Gavin was on his phone and wasn't paying any attention.

"Okay so, we're having some spaghetti! Hope that's okay for everyone!" My Mum walked into the silent room.

"Everything okay?"

"It's great Mum, it's better than great it's actually..." Selena jumped up and stopped me because she knew I was going to say something else that would kill the mood. 

"It's fantastic Mum. We'll all love spaghetti!"

"Yeah, I love it." Scarlett smiled and shrugged and glared at me. I got up and went into the hall and Scarlett followed.

"Hey.." She said in a stern voice and grabbed my arm.

"Ow, what?" I wriggled my arm out of her grip.

"What are you doing? Biting my Dad's head off."

"I'm not biting his head off, I'm just stating facts like it's chilly and that there is a woman he's married to in the house and the woman he proposed to but cheated on and broke her heart. Oops, did I just let that slip?" I went to walk away but Scarlett grabbed my arm, and damn, she was strong. She yanked me back and pushed me in front of her. 

"You better stop making up lies and bad mouthing my Dad..."

"Or what? You've known me for what, like two days, I don't care if you don't believe me. You're Dad deserves it."

"Oh you did not just say that."

"Oh, I did." She pushed me back.

"Woah, what the hell are you doing?" I went to push her but she grabbed my arm and flipped me and I fell straight onto the ground on my back. It was so painful. She bent down and looked at me.

"Don't ever talk about my Dad like that again."

"What the hell happened?!" Selena ran out.

"She fell down the stairs, such a clutz Nina." Scarlett smiled and walked into the living room. Selena grabbed my hand and helped me up.

"I definitely did not fall. She flipped me."

"Oh hell no, she does not get to flip my sister, only I get to flip my sister." I smiled and then realised Selena was about to cause World War 3.

"Selena, Selena, no, we gotta play this smart. We gotta just, be mature...adults for the rest of the night."

"Or why don't we play sarcastic little bitches all night?"

I smirked and nodded.

"Dinner's ready!!"

"Game on Scarlett. Game on