"tell me something good"

4: tell me something good

It had been at least an hour since Luke and I got home from our late lunch. We decided to run all of our errands and then eat lunch so that we could eat something big.

After running something down to my dad's office and having to inform Luke about my dad's job as an attorney, we didn't talk much. Just small talk. I think he was upset that Amie hadn't told him much yet, but I wasn't really sure. All I knew was that I had definitely overstepped, and I should've kept my mouth shut about Amie's past.

My door slowly began to open and I shut my laptop quickly, a bad habit of mine.

"I don't even want to know what kind of porn you're into," Luke said in reaction to the loud noise my laptop made as I slammed it shut. He laughed at his own joke but I only rolled my eyes as I pushed my laptop away from me and down the bed.

"What's up?" Luke walked into my room and closed my door, leaning his back against it and crossing his arms.

"I think your mom and Amie are arguing, so I decided to not get in the middle of it. Can I hang out in here?"

"Sure." I shrugged my shoulders, scooting over in my bed to clear a spot for him to sit. He took no time to sit beside me and I couldn't help but to blush as I realized how close we were. Our knees were touching and I almost felt like I should scoot over more.

"Well?"

"What?" I asked, wondering what he was expecting from me.

"I'm in your room; tell me something good."

"Oh, I forgot," I smiled, looking down at my hands that were picking at the seams of the quilt on my bed. "Um," I hesitated, trying to think of something slightly interesting about myself.

"Tell me anything," Luke interrupted my thoughts, becoming impatient.

"I was in a commercial when I was seven," I blurted out, somehow forgetting everything else about myself. "You put me on the spot, so that's what you get for today."

"Can you find this commercial and show me?" Luke asked and I quickly shook my head.

"No, it's horrendous! I've never shown anyone that tragedy," I cried out, almost wishing I hadn't said anything. "That's between you and me, okay?"

"I'm sure all your friends knew it was you when you made the commercial."

"I didn't have many friends," I confessed, shrugging my shoulders. "But I've already told you something about myself, so forget about that."

"What do you mean you didn't have many friends?"

"I was a strange kid growing up," I explained, but felt I needed to tell him more. "I had a speech impediment when I was younger and I found it really embarrassing, so I never talked. I didn't make many friends. The commercial didn't involve much talking, just me smiling without one of my front teeth." I laughed at the thought of the commercial and smiled to myself. "Sometimes when I start to argue with people, I get so nervous that I stutter and my words jumble and my lisp comes back to me." Luke smiled at me and I looked down.

"Are sure you can't find that commercial?"

"No, Luke." I looked back up at him and he sighed at me, but kept his smile.

"Fine, I won't ask again until tomorrow."

"You're so annoying," I told him, laughing at his taken aback expression.

"Sorry for acting weird earlier," Luke apologized. He ran his hand along the side of a throw blanket that was at the foot of my bed. "I guess it's just really weird to realize Amie hasn't told me much. I probably haven't told her very much about myself either, so it's not a big deal or anything. Just a weird thought."