"wouldn't want to be a burden to angel amie"

5: wouldn't want to be a burden to angel amie

"Lana, get up!" I heard Dad yell before proceeding to sit up in my bed by leaning on my arms. After stretching out my arms, I fell back down onto the bed, too tired to hold myself up. I groaned quietly to myself and stretched out my legs under the blankets. "Lana?"

"I'm up!" I yelled, aggravated. I threw the quilt off of me and jumped off the bed, trying to be as quick as possible since it seemed I was needed for something important. I looked in my mirror and literally jumped as I saw myself. I looked over at the clock in my room to see it was almost one and I shut my eyes. I shamelessly walked out of my room and across the hall to the bathroom, but to my surprise, it was occupied. I knocked on the door and waited to find out who it was. The door opened and I saw Luke, half of his face covered in shaving cream and the other half freshly shaven.

I did my best not to cover the rat's nest on my head in complete shame and smiled at him. "Could I have my hair brush?"

"I don't mind if you join me, I'm just shaving," Luke said, shrugging his broad shoulders. "I'm liking the new hairstyle, why brush it out?" As I walked in behind him, Luke began to crack some jokes which I decided not to respond to. I slowly began to brush the bottoms of my hair, trying not to scream from my being tender headed. Luke closed the door and I furrowed my eyebrows, looking over at him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah?" I asked, as if what he had asked was a completely ridiculous question. "I just woke up, I'm sorry I'm not as chipper—"

"I wouldn't say you're normally chipper," Luke interrupted and I shrugged, not wanting to talk with him at the moment. I continued to brush my hair and I could see Luke watching in the mirror. "Does that hurt?"

"Yes, Luke." I finally got one chunk of hair untangled, but mentally sighed when I saw how much I had left to do. My hair was short, but it was thick. "Can you stop looking at me?" Luke sighed and continued to shave his chin.

We both continued in silence, but I kept catching glimpses of him in the mirror.

"Does that hurt?" I asked, becoming genuinely curious.

"Not when you do it right," Luke replied after chuckling. "Now, stop looking at me." I playfully rolled my eyes and continued to brush out my hair, smiling to myself.

"Lana! Get down here!" I furrowed my eyebrows at my dad's angry tone and sighed under my breath. I started to quickly brush out my hair, not having the time to go slow.

"Just a second!" I told him, not wanting to cause any trouble.

"How about I go talk to him, give you some time so that you don't rip your hair out?" Luke asked, slowly taking a towel to his face to wipe off the shaving cream.

"Don't bother," I told him, taking my semi-untangled hair and tying it up in a pony tail. I began to walk by him, but Luke grabbed my arm. "What?" I asked, annoyed.

"N-nothing..." Luke stuttered out as he stared at me. He let go of my arm and I walked away from him, and down the stairs.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sleep in, I—"

"I don't care," Dad announced as I walked into the living room. He was sitting down on the couch, his body turned toward me. I crossed my arms as I stared at him, wondering what he wanted. "Sorry for yelling, I'm in a hurry."

"That's okay..."

"Your mother is taking Amie out to a late lunch, Luke will probably go—I don't know why he wouldn't—but they'll be out for awhile. They're going to look at a couple stores. I have a meeting, and I won't be back until tomorrow night because it's out of town. Will you be okay alone for the night?"