Chapter 20: A new beginning

I sniffed Brian's hair, it smelled like baby lotion. He wrapped his small arms tighter around me and snuggled his head into my chest. Sometime after my encounter with my mom he had climbed into my bed again. This was my last night with him and I wanted to cherish it for all I was worth.

"I love you babe." I whispered in his hair before kissing his head.

"I love you more."

"I love you more than you love me."

"I love you more than love loves itself."

"Whoa Brian, that was deep."

He giggled and my heart raced. If I could adopt Brian as my own child I would in a heartbeat. It was crazy how someone as innocent as him could come from two very evil people.

"Hey Liz?"

"Yeah, what's up man?"

"They lied you know. I never said you touched me badly."

My heart clenched and I bit my lip to keep from crying.

"I know buddy."

"Sydney...dad...uncle... whatever he is saw me come out of your room and as soon as you left he grabbed my arm. He asked me what I was doing in there and when I said I was sleeping with you he asked me if you touched me. I didn't know what he was talking about so I said that we cuddled like we do every night. He told me to sit on the couch and then he called mommy. She came home all scared like and then I wasn't allowed to go to school. Then Sydney kept telling mommy that you touched me. You touched me badly and that you had been doing it for a long time. I tried to tell him that you didn't, I tried to tell them that all you did was kiss my head but then he just exploded. I got really scared Lizzy and I didn't know what to do."

I wrapped my arms around his body and kissed his head again.

"It's okay baby, you didn't know. They were being mean and ganging up on you."

"But why? I asked mommy what touching means and she said it's when someone touches your private parts and then I told her you didn't do that. But Sydney said that I had been brainwashed by you. What does that mean?"

"It means that I bully you into believing whatever I want because you love me."

"But that's not true... I mean I love you that's true, but the other thing."

"Hey Baby, don't worry about it, let's not think about this during our last night together."

"Okay. I love you Lizzy!"

"I love you too little buddy."

I started to sing softly to Brian as I brushed his blond hairs.

Oh, why you look so sad?

Tears are in your eyes

Come on and come to me now

Don't be ashamed to cry

Let me see you through

'Cause I've seen the dark side too

"Keep singing Lizzy. I like you're voice."

"Okay buddy. I will."

When the night falls on you

You don't know what to do

Nothin' you confess, could make me love you less

I'll stand by you, I'll stand by you

Won't let nobody hurt you