24 days part 2

It took about half an hour to get to A and E. Any other day it would have been closer to three quarters if an hour but Joe went slightly over limits and through quieter shortcuts to try to get me there as soon as possible.

After pulling the handbrake hastily in an ambulance handicapped spot, Joe tumbled out the car and barrelled past people to run into the hospital to explain the issue as it would probably look very weird if he just carried me in. What seemed like hours layer but was probably seconds, Joe came back out with a plastic hospital wheelchair.

He gently lifted my knee, and put the cushion on the chair before akwardly getting me out the car. My teeth were once again gritted in pain. Part of me was disappointed that he didn't carry me in but the pain was already nearly blinding, knocking it would just make everything worse.

The wheelchair had one of those feet supports that could come up so the leg rested at a straight line instead of at 90 degrees, which my leg currently bend in that direction.

In entering the hospital, the powerful scent of antiseptic hit me almost immediately and I gagged a little. Joe didn't seem to notice. he was too buzy staring at the packed waiting room, overflowing with people in various health states and the people who accompanied them - there was a slightly cross-eyed teenager with a disapproving parental figure who held a blood soaked wad of tissues to the back of his head, a small, slightly blue boy coughing while a harrassed mum spoke rapidly down a phone explaining through tight lips how he had swallowed a marble, an old man with part of his index finger missing, someone with a bandage over one eye, a heavily pregnant lady with young twins, one with a big plaster over one eyebrow, his identical brother holding his hand, a boy who stood outside the girls bathroom while a girl was violently sick in there, and a small selection of people holding various parts of their bodies that were swollen like my knee, including a young girl who held her wrist crying quietly while sitting on a man's lap as he stroked her hair whispering soothing things in her ear.

Joe wheeled me over to a small space where other wheelchair users and companions sat. He took a seat and angle me so I could face him. Next to us on one side were an elderly couple, the lady in a Mobil buggy while the man next to her held her hand. On our other side, two young adult women were engaged in a heated convasation while a man with a nasty gash in his leg stared at them in confusion.

I turned back and found myself looking into Joe's eyes. Something stirred inside me.

Joe's eyes are really cool. One is like bright blue, like the sky, and the other is more of a sea blue with lilac specs which look kinda magical. It sounds really stupid but I like them. I've noticed his eyes before but never really looked straight into them for very long.

He was on his phone, probably texting Maddie or one of our parents about the current situation. I pulled my phone out my pocket, hissing slightly as I dropped it on my knee. Joe looked up.
"You ok Luce?" He asked patting my good knee. He looked distracted but I didn't want to pry. I nodded but I don't think he notice.

His phone buzzed with the normal iPhone ring. the phone went straight to his ear. The nurse behind the counter gave him a dirty look but he turned away from her.

The conversation was very one sided. All I heard was this:
"Hello?... yes this is Joe, ..... no it doesn't look like I'm able to play today.... no this is important... (the voice was screaming on the other side by now and as Joe tried to raise his voice, people started to stare, intrigued. He lowered his voice and most of the people turned away)... what do you mean important? ... I mean my best friend needs me so I'm here... get your skinny as down here soon or I kick you off the team!! ... you can't, I'm the best center we have... I don't care, Sam can replace you, ...." the line went dead. Joe looked horrified.

It clicked.

"SUGAR PLUM FAIRIES" I shouted, rather loudly. I blushed as everyone stared at me, "they kicked you off the team?!" I whisper shouted, some what quieter than before, running my hands through my hair.

"Yea, but don't worry about me Lucy, I forgot about the match. This is not your fault so please don't blame this on you - it is all me." He ruffled my hair.

His phone went off again and he answered it. This time, Joe let me listen in, moving my chair closer so my good knee bumped his. This conversation was even more one sided and I didn't need to be moved foward to hear anything this time:

"Why are you not on the field, players are warming up, no just heard coach yell your not on the team anymore, what the attual hell Joe there are scouts here expecting you and your OFF WITH SOME GIRL?? (Maddie was screeching by this point,) I SWEAR IF YOUR WITH LUCY AGAIN DOING HER STUPID DANCE PRACTICES, YOU'RE NEVER EVEN WITH ME ANY MORE DO EVEN WANT TO BE WITH ME ANYMORE. NO I DONT EVEN CARE BECAUSE I FEEL THAT AS YOUR GIRLFRIEND YOU SHOULD ATTUALLY SPEND SOME FRIGGING TIME WITH ME AND NOT YOUR DUMB BLONDIE BESTFRIEND YOU BRAG ABOUT MORE THANK ME YOUR FRIGGING SMART BURNETT GIRL WHO HAS BEEN WAITING FOR YOU TO ARRIVE FOR NEARLY AN HOUR AND GOD WHY DO I EVEN TRY??
were done. I can't do it anymore, run off with Lucy - sob - see if I care - hic. " the line went dead. I looked up, into Joe's broken eyes.

Oh my god, what have I done?

-------------
A/N this chapter is for lilac_antelope23 for the beautiful cover, I was going to wait a week but oh well. Do you guys aprrove? It's not irish dance related, but beautiful and expressive all the same
Don't be silent, comment what you think

L xxx