Bestfriend or Brother

Lucy's PoV

Last then an hour later i was back at Joe's, having already began to forgive him. Sam had demanded to drive us, but was not staying, which may have had something to do with a look they shared beforehand. Joe loaded me into the car, as he was used to doing by now, while Sam looked on somewhat helplessly, his eyebrows never relaxing from his frown.

The car ride was mostly uneventful, with my legs across the back seat and the boys sat in the front. The silence in the car was refreshing in comparison to the steady flow of memories moments earlier that pounded through my head. I still had a slight headache.

The car pulled up a little while later and after the faff with the wheelchair, Joe made the decision to pick me up instead of allowing me to manoeuvre myself into it.

I felt every ripple of his chest, every slight movement and my heartbeat almost inaudibly sped up. Sam ran ahead and knocked at the door before abruptly facing us.

"I'm going to head back. Do you need anything before I go?" The last moment before he left, his eyes searched my imploringly. I shook my head a little, too tired to even attempt to work out what he was trying to say.

As the door opened, Sam began walking, and I saw a hint of hurt and sadness before a neutral mask and walking away. A pang hit my chest but I ignored it; it was fainter than it used to be.

"Oh Joe, Lucy should really be in her 'chair by now." His mum half scolded, half smiled while wearing a fake disapproving look, her eyebrows skillfully raised.

"Everyone deserves to be treated like a princess every once in a while." Joe smiled and held me closer on his arms as I blushed.

His mum smiled when my as gripped around his neck, and responded with "more like a bride." under her breath, but loud enough for us to hear, even over the squealing of Sam's tires as he sped away.

Now it was Joe's turn to blush, as I let out a high and slightly shrill giggle, loving the idea in secret.

She took the abandoned wheelchair down the path to their house as Joe took me inside. "It wouldn't be the first time I've carried you over the threshold." He whispered with a sly smirk, causing me to turn a bright and brilliant crimson as I ducked into his collar. I felt rather than heard his hearty and throaty laugh.

The squeaks of the wheelchair went into the kitchen and quickly diminished, followed by the gentle footsteps of his mum going up the stairs before a comfortable silence blanketed us.

Joe was the first to break it, his voice cracking slightly as he asked: "umm.... Can I ask you something​?" He blurted out loud, cautiously but blushing from his outburst all the same.

"Go for it Joe, you can ask me anything." I frowned at the serious tone in his voice, worried for what else may come.

"You've changed a lot Luce, and I was wondering if you think you have all your memories back at this point. Do you?" He asked, a slight tone of accusation.

"Well, yeah, I think so, why?" He scooted towards me, clearly pleased by my response.

"I was just wondering if you could remember any feelings and emotions you had about certain people." I flicked my hair over one shoulder, thinking about it.

"Most likely Joe, but it would depend on the person I recon." I tried to be as truthful as I could, without catching on.

"Oh, okay." He replied, a nonchalant tone now littering his voice. It intrigued me. The blunt response to an answer I'd given made me slightly nervous.

"Can I ask why?" I questioned timidly as he came even closer.

"Oh, just because." He replied vaguely. His knee was now almost going to knock with my good one, and my upper half was faced towards him. Every move he made him closer to me and my breath sped up more and more.

"That's not much a response." I managed to stutter out, cursing myself for being so petty as his smile returned.

He looked down at his hands, as though embarrassed terribly for what he was about to say. "I was attempting to work out how you felt about me. That's all." He tried to pass it off as if it ment nothing, but I could tell his comment was waiting for an answer, and I was suddenly terrified it wouldn't be the one he wanted.

For a moment I all but forgot he was in the room, wondering why on earth he we've think to ask the question.

And then it hit me.

I bursted into giggles at the blunt question. "Why on earth you you ever love me?" I cried, sobering up as he stared at me in shock.

The questions whizzed round my brain: why did he say that?; why would he ever like someone as broken as me?; How could he not think of any other way to phrase it? They needed answers, and I was hoping I'd be able to get some.

I stared at Joe intensely as he worked out how to say it.

"I love the way your body flows. I love how you look, even when you feel gross. I love the way you trust me completely and even when you had no memories of me. I love that you can walk into my house and still get nervous about seeing my parents. I love how you have always tried to back me up and be there for me, no matter what. I love how, through thick and thin, you'll always love me." He took a shaky breath.
"But it will never be enough."

"I love you Lucy." He smiled gently, pulling my hands into his lap. I contently cuddled up to him, knowing there would be no way to describe the fireworks in my brain.

"I love you too Joe. Always have, always will."

And I looked up to see a breathtaking smile that lit up his face just before his head gently lowered agonisingly slowly towards me, his lips against mine after so long.

If this was how the future would go, I'll gladly continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N - and it's over! I can't believe I've finally completed a book. This is my second book on Wattpad, and there are a lot of editing mistakes and misspellings across it all which my editor hasn't had a chance to grab yet.

Firstly, for anyone who stuck with me through the dodgy timing of chapter releases, awkward author's notes and plot holed story, I thank you. You personally, for giving it a shot. I love you and will continue to do so as my writing (hopefully) expands and skills develop throughout time. This book has been so much fun to write, and I'm working on others, but don't want to stress myself out too much too soon. Fanfics, teen dramas and even a comedy with short stories and lots of clishe in the books to come.

For now, I'm signing off. This story doesn't have a sequel, and I don't intend on doing one. For this reason, I'm going to have some bonus chapters, an epilogue and some extra features that will pop up occasionally. My main writing priority is now "The Kids Aren't Alright" which I cowriter with the talented MillieJames3, and a private book called "The Bad Boy's Brother" a seemingly clishe novel that I hope to publish on here soon.

Quick but massive thanks to some of my best friends:
lilac_antelope23 for being a damm patient girl-i hope this is the ending you envisioned,
aliceelouiseee/cupidthequeen for being supportive throughout it all and giving me great ideas,
theoneginge for allowing me to use our bright and funny talks as ideas in these chapters, as well as being a great friend,
sian2015 for just being freaking awesome. Keep hobbling girl, you're doing great,

And finally, the fabulous bethleeh; editor, best friend, idea presenter, she is a beautiful individual who gave me the whole concept of Joe and this book.

This book has represented me on Wattpad far better then my first one, which eventually may come off.

For this book's final time though,

Vote,

Comment,

L xxx