Chapter 41: Bedside

"San ka nanaman galing," Halos maghahating gabi na, gising parin si Lola. "Alden san ka pupunta, kinakausap pa kita."

Dumiretso akong paakyat sa itaas para makapag pahinga, "bukas nalang Lola pagod na ako, wala pa po akong tulog."

"Alden!" sigaw ni Lola sa unang step ng hagdanan, "Alden, kinakausap kita."

Thug! Malakas na pag bagsak ng pintuan nung sinira ko ito.

Napaupo ako sa gilid ng aking kama, "how did this happen, how could I do this to her..." I ran my hands through my hair.

All night long, even in my dreams, the events of earlier this week keeps on repeating inside my head.

Seeing Maine in pain, the anxiety that I felt every second of being stuck in traffic. Every time I looked in the passenger seat, I was hurt of what I saw.

When we reached the hospital when she got taken away from my sight, I was left in the waiting room having thoughts of what ifs... what if she never recovers from the stabbing. What if I lose her, how will I live another day without her.

The next day I woke up really early para isa, maiwasan ko si Lola at baka maabutan pa ako ng interrogation period kasama nya, at pangalawa, para hindi ako makita ni Maine kapag bumisita ako sa kanya.

Pero pagbaba ko sa hagdanan, "Alden, san ka pupunta?" Nakaabang na si Lola sa paahan ng hagdan.

"Pupuntahan ko lang yung ano... yung... yung bakery Lola."

Tinaasan nya ako ng kilay, "halika, dun tayo sa lamesa mag usap muna tayo." Sa itsura palang ni Lola, alam kong pagsasabihan nya ako. "Mag usap tayo."

"Okay" I took a deep breathe, "what do you want to talk about?"

"Hindi mo kailangan magsinungaling sa akin Alden, you think I don't know where you go but I know." Diretsahan na sabi nya, "Alam kong dumadalaw ka kay Maine sa umaga atsaka gabi tuwing natututog sya."

How did she know, has she been following me, "H-how..."

"In touch ako sa mga magulang ni Maine," she scooted closer, "Alden bakit mo kailangan itago 'yon sa akin, tingin mo ba ipagbabawal kitang bumisita sa kanya pag alam ko?"

I shook my head.

"Alden, parang pamilya na ang turing ko kay Maine..."

"It's not that... It's just that I thought if you knew about her condition, it'll stress you out." I confessed, "La, andami mo nang iniisip, kung nagaalala ka pa kay Maine, eh baka ma-over stress ka."

I explained to her that what happened to Maine shouldn't be something that she still needs to be concerned of since she already has so many things she needs to think about.She shook her head with disagreement on the idea of her over stressing, she said that it's not about being stressed, it's about being a person that could companion another who needs it. If Maine needs to talk, Lola said she would gladly be there for her.

"Salamat Lola, na iinintindihan ko na po."

"Alam kong ayoko tambakan si Maine ng napakaraming inpormasyon lalo't na nasa hospital sya pero, nasabi mo na ba sa kanya ang tungkol sa trabahong inoffer sa'yo?"

I took a deep breathe, I hook my head and ask Lola to not say a think to Maine about it, "alam kong malaki ang bibig mo Lola. Don't even try to deny it," she had a questioning grin on her face. "I'll do it, but not right now, I promise I won't leave without her knowing."

We gave each other a hug before I left and headed to a nearby florist to grab Maine flowers.

When I got there I see Maine's mom sitting outside of the room looking down at her phone, "Tita, good morning po..."

"Good morning rin sa'yo Alden." Napansin kong na namumula ang mga mata ni Tita na parang kakaiyak lang nya.

"Okay lang po ba kayo, si Maine po kamusta na?" She didn't speak for awhile, kinabahan ako na may masamang nangyari kay Maine.

"Ang masasabi ko lang sa'yo na isang lang ang hiling ng anak ko, at yun ay makapag usap kayong dalawa." She smiled, "kung pwede sana gawin mo rin yun para sa akin, yun lang naman ang gusto ng anak ko bago sya..." BIglang umiyak si Titang mahina, ang mukha nya nakalibing sa panyo nya.

A tear came out of my eye, hearing all of this from her. Is she implying that she isn't going to be better, I gave her a hug out of sadness and asked her permission to go inside the room.

When she gave me the approval to enter, I walked inside the room to be greeted by a pale and sick looking Maine.

I left the the flowers on the table and sat on the vacant seat by the bedside, held her hand and just watched her sleep.

Maine, wag mo ako iiwan, kailangan kita sa buhay ko Maine.

I gave her hand a small kiss and suddenly she wakes up from her sleep, "Mmm... Alden andito ka pala."

Holding my tears back, I gave her a small smile. I didn't want to show her how saddened I am by her situation. I knew that seeing me with a smile on my face would be better to wake up to than seeing me all depressed and crying.

"You wanted to talk?" I gave out small laugh.

She nodded, "Gusto ko lang talaga i-explain sa'yo ang mga nakita mo nung isang gabi." Tinutukoy nya ang mga kaganapan nung isang araw ng makita ko syang may kasamang ibang lalaki. "It's not what you think. Kaibigan ko lang si Jake, best friend ko sya. Wala nang iba, promise."

I kept quiet and asked her to continue on telling her side of the story.

"Pag-uwi natin galing sa LA nagsabi sya na kumain kami sa labas, and I was okay with that." She contnues, "alam kong I was at the wrong to lie to you but I didn't want you to understand it in a different light."

"So pagsinabi mo sa akin na makikipag dinner ka sa ibang lalaki you think I would be mad about it."

"Correction, hindi ibang lalaki, he's one of my best friend."

"That doesnt make sense why would you think I would be mad about having lunch with a best friend?" There's something off about this, "Maine, stop lying, let's be honest here." I said seriously

"Um..." Is all I could get from here. I could tell that she was getting anxiety from the way I was talking to her.

There's a missing piece to her story that she isn't telling me. Then I realized what Lola told me, not to give anymore stress to Maine that she didn't need.

I exhaled and closed my eyes for a longer duration to keep my head clear, "ilagay nalang natin sa ganito, kung ayaw mong sabihin, then I'm fine with it, what's done has been done, we can't erase it."

I saw Maine look heartbroken about what I said, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it's my fault." Although I knew I was at no fault, I said sorry for giving her so much trouble through avoiding her and keeping my distance from her. "You wouldn't even be in this position if it wasn't for my stubbornness."

Then suddenly, "manliligaw ko si Jake." Maine reveals. "We've known each other since a few months ago, I didn't want to tell you at first kasi baka may isipin kang iba but I promise there's nothing between us. I promise!"

I tried to understand each information she just gave me, "let me get this straight," I broke down what she said, "Jake diba?" I asked if I said the correct name and she nods, "si Jake ang manliligaw mo, na tinago mo sa akin, you guys go on dates, this happened when I was away."

She kept nodding to every single one, "except sa dates namin, all of it were just friendly." she explains.

"Is there anymore you would like to add to this story?" I asked her. She started mumbling under her breath, "Maine, speak louder!" I asked her, magkakaaminan na nga lang, hindi pa sabihin ang lahat.

"We live on the same apartment!"

Then suddenly someone enters the room, "Hi Maine, good morning." A tall guy standing in front of the door comes in.

I turning back to Maine, she looks as if she has seen a ghost or something supernatural. "H-hi Jake." she said in disbelief.