Not the Best

Blood.

Not the best way to begin, but there are so many ways to describe it... and that's why I think it has been deemed the most important thing...

Blood, something that binds, blends, and bleeds. Some wizards and witches believe that a family of the same blood is stronger than any other. Strong blood means power and power is survival. You know this though...

My family was one of those families... One with no mercy towards those with dirty blood. A heart sealed calling those without purity, mudbloods. We destroyed their legacies with words and ridiculed their ways because they were different than us. Because they were not pure of blood because those wizards and witches had chosen to marry outside of the world of magic.

To marry a Muggle... the most disgusting thing a witch or wizard could do.

Or at least that was our ideology.

I used to believe in these morals. When I was younger it was shoved down my throat, and as a kid I didn't think anything of it, but as time went on, and I actually experienced things for myself; I saw that the ideology was a bit dramatic. There was no physiological proof that someone born of non-pure parents was worse at magic than those who were. The racist idea confused me, but I was forced to follow its ways with the fear of being different from those who were to accept me. I had to obey my family. They were the ones who raised me as a child; who protected me, who strengthened my weaknesses, and who made me the woman I am today. A pure-blood.

I wasn't surprised when I got my letter from Hogwarts. I mean, my older sister had been happily attending for 2 years. She would always come home during the holidays along with the end of the school year to exclaim how much she enjoyed learning about magic. She boasted about how she was continuing the family line of great wizards. Even though she was an average witch at heart. My sister never mentioned to the family that school was challenging for her. She boasted about everything she did outside of class, but never during; she wasn't good at academics. The thing I learned very quickly was that my sister forgot to tell our family what happened at Hogwarts... The place was completely demented.... Not cruel though, just different. Although you might have already made your own opinions.

It is a school that most people find themselves entering and leaving without any traumatizing events. Hearing the stories from my sister, I was expecting the best time of my life. I was ecstatic to walk in on my first day and blow everyone's minds with my amazingness, but alas things didn't go exactly as I had planned. They never seemed too...

The morning of my departure from home was calming. I finished packing the essentials for surviving a year without my parents. I shut my trunk and headed towards downstairs. The day prior, my dad insisted on letting me levitate the trunk to the ground unlike the traditional way of just carrying it. But rules are rules and I didn't even know the spell for levitation yet. I did however have my wand. I had bought it a few days prior, along with my cat, Rosebury. My wand was elegant; 10 ¼ inches, unicorn hair, brittle flexibility, dark ash wood with a gold handle, and swirls draping themselves around the outside. When Ollivander presented it to me; I knew it was the right one. I felt the wand press against my back as I made my way down the stairs and smiled with excitement. Once I had descended I looked up at our chandelier by the entrance. My house was larger in comparison to other wizards'. A beautifully decorated 2-story high mansion with its own staff; all of which were house elves. We did not treat them with respect. It was as we saw fit, they were our servants, and it was the house elves responsibility to do anything we commanded of them.

I made sure I wasn't forgetting anything as I stared at the trunk I had placed by the front door. Even if I did happen to forget something I could probably buy it at school. My family was pretty wealthy, so money was never really a problem for me. I strolled into the kitchen to be quickly brushed by the feeling of sadness. I was excited to go away to Hogwarts for the year, and although I wasn't leaving for that long, I would definitely miss my house.

My dad was seated on a bar stool doing what dads do; reading the paper and drinking coffee. He didn't acknowledge me when I walked into the room, must have been reading something very important. There was and elf by the oven cooking some eggs, probably for me. I glanced and saw that my mum and my sister were outside on the patio behind the kitchen. I could see the tops of their heads through a rectangular kitchen window.

"Good Morning Father," I said as I walked further into the kitchen.

"Morning Astoria," He replied monotonously. I thought my dad may have been a little mad at me for not using magic earlier, but who knew.

"I'm going to go talk to Mum outside," I said hastily heading for the door.

"Don't forget your eggs," As he said that, the elf by the oven presented me a red plate with a delicious mound of cheesy scrambled eggs on toast.

"Thank you," I said to the elf and headed towards the door. One hand on my plate another on the door handle I made my way outside. My mother and sister were sitting next to each other talking about everything Daphne wanted to achieve that year.

"Oh Astoria! We were just talking about you," My mother exclaimed when she saw I had come outside. I took a seat in the black metal chair across from my mum and my sister, it was the only seat set.

"About me?" I asked picking up my fork. I didn't want my mother to see my interest, so I attempted to be more focuses on my eggs. It wasn't completely preposterous they brought me into their conversation, after all it was my first year at Hogwarts. Although, it seemed that when I entered the conversation my mum had been hastily telling my sister to try at being a good student. How that had to do with me? As a curious girl I couldn't help but want to know why.

"We were saying that you're going to totally make a fool out of yourself this year, completely embarrassing," My sister said cruelly.

"No, that's not what we were talking about at all actually..." my mother corrected, "We were saying that we are excited to see how you'll do this year... and succeed or fail we'll be proud of you," my mum explained with a fake smile.

"So, you think that there's a chance that I'll fail all my classes?" I asked bluntly sticking my fork into my eggs quite aggressively. I was already beginning to feel the anger spreading. Expectations, exceeding expectations, it was what I was wired to follow.

"No, no honey... We just said that there could be a chance. I mean in muggle school you never excelled-" My mother began reaching towards my arm, but I pulled it away.

"This isn't muggle school mum. You shouldn't have even sent me there. Most pure-blood families homeschool their children..." I pointed out taking a bit of the eggs.

"Oh well yes honey I know the wizarding schools are different. And it is true, I don't know why your father and I decided to send you two there... would have been much easier to keep you at home... never know what those muggles are planning anyways," She tried. I started furiously eating my eggs now. She wasn't helping me think positively for my first day of school. Academics had never been a strong suit of mine. My parents saw that. They told me many times my failure to learn was because muggle schooling systems didn't work with our blood, but I knew it was just another pointless excuse. They told me time and time again they were hoping I would do better academically at Hogwarts. I was hoping to too, but as the start of the schooling year came closer I could tell that my parents were becoming more afraid. They didn't want me to repeat what I had done in muggle primary school. In the moment, all that I could think about was the hard work I needed to do. The muggles I somehow made friends with didn't know who I really was... I obviously didn't tell them I was a witch... they wouldn't be able to handle it. All that they, and others saw, was a dumb girl trying to make her way through the most basic of classes. As I began to fail; they began to laugh, but if they knew the truth...they wouldn't have been laughing. They might have not seen greatness in me, but I was praying that the wizards did. So, for those stupid boys who teased me and for my family, I promised myself that my first year at Hogwarts was going to be my best academic year yet.

That was not the case.