Know

I felt happy with my decision to speak so rashly towards him. Perhaps it wasn't the best decision I had ever made, but it did put my heart to rest... a little bit. I felt calmer, more liberated, and even though I knew I had to wait, at least I understood why. So, I carried out my days as normal... or as normal as I could with the Carrows constantly being a pain, but at least this time they seemed to be met with some back lash.

It started out as hushes and small rumors, but it was no secret that many friends of Harry Potter were still attending Hogwarts. In doing so they were made an easy target for the Carrows; they didn't want them to be attempting to help the 'Chosen One'. Anyone who had any sort of connection was thrown into detention frequently. The horrors of it grew, and everyone tried to do their best to act appropriately during the Carrow's lectures. The other teachers of course hardly gave detentions; anyone could tell that they were afraid too. Having physical pain thrust upon you was no solution to a late homework. Amycus and Alecto stayed true to their word; they made the detentions worse and worse by time, and kept attending classes once a month. I could always tell when they would come. Immediately when I walked into one of my classes my Professors looked stiff, and they gave us a look that told us to be on our best behavior. The atmosphere once whichever Carrow walked in instantly turned dark, and I tried my best to not bring any attention to myself. Luckily, they rarely ever acted. Umbridge might have asked many questions in class, but the Carrows were more there to evaluate the students and give unnecessary detentions when the Professors did not.

Most students and their parents were afraid of the situation at school. I even saw a few disappear after the first couple of weeks. If that year wasn't so important for me academically, I probably would have tried to find a way to leave. I didn't know how, or why, but I had to start thinking about my future. It wouldn't have been until after Winter Holiday, but I remembered. That was the year where we would try to choose what we wanted to do with our lives after school, and then once we proclaimed a wanted profession we were told how we should do on the O.W.L.s to pursue our goals. I didn't want to think of the future; I didn't even know if I was going to make it there.

I remembered it being a Monday. That day I had the weirdest need to... have a conversation. It was more of an urge to talk to a very specific person. I was doing my Charms homework when the need to know something hit me. It seriously was the strangest thing. I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing for my homework, so I decided it could wait for later. I hurriedly packed away my stuff and stood up awkwardly. I smiled and looked around, there weren't many people in the room, but I did catch some eyes that were wondering what I was doing so hurriedly. When the eyes realized I was leaving, they left me, and I felt slightly alone. I hurried out of the common room knowing that I wouldn't find him there.

I found him on a bench in a hallway studying. I was surprised to see him there alone... I was also surprised he was studying.

"I thought you thought school was unnecessary," I started folding my arms looking down at him. Draco continued to keep his head down.

"It is, but regardless of what I think, I still need to graduate to say that I actually did something with my life," he stated looking up squinting because it was bright. I decided to sit down next to him.

"What are you studying," I asked happily, not entirely sure how I felt about having my conversation with him in a public hallway.

"What are you doing here Astoria," he groaned returning to his book. I pursed my lips.

"I'm here to have a conversation," I stated as I watched a student walk by.

"Yeah?" he asked sarcastically.