Line

The fighting began shortly after; the explosions gave it away. It wasn't easy, back against the wall, sitting on the ground in a cramped room; not able to do anything. We learned shortly after our arrival that the school had put up more protection spells. We were supposed to be safe, but the yells and shouts from outside didn't make us feel that way. And not to mention the dementors; they didn't leave either. Silence crept in and out of the walls, and we waited.

Astoria, both of your parents could be out there fighting right now! What side would you take if you faced them? I thought to myself, I would hope to take my own side... who cares about my parents, they abandoned me without contact. They obviously don't care about their children if they left.... You know that's not true... but I don't know that it's false... I loved my parents, but my mum's gone crazy and I haven't seen my dad for more than two years. I'm basically independent from them... is that why you've latched on to Draco?... He's the only thing you've put love into since their departure... but he's not here, is he? He's not here with you, or with Pansy, or anyone in this basement... He's gone, fighting perhaps... actually doing something... perhaps he knows where your parents are. My mental state decided to play against me. I couldn't control the thoughts. I looked around the rooms as I speculated, what about all these people? What are their stories? Where will they go... where did they come from? You'll probably never be able to tell...

It was almost as if another voice was penetrating my mind. Making me turn against myself. Perhaps it was a side-effect of war; made you think about what was going on because you have no choice other than to.

I couldn't figure anything out for certain; I seemed to be the only one that was trying to make sense of everything. I didn't have a book sitting there telling me what to do. I was attempting to begin making decisions of my own... and truthfully, I wasn't mature enough for it.

My sister was the first to catch my eye after another one of my dark thinking fits. She looked at me solemnly. Seeing her made me begin to cry and I leaned over to Lacey to tell her that I needed to speak with my sister. I shuffled my way over to where she was sitting and found a spot directly across from her. She didn't mutter any greetings, but instead stared at me with a form of hatred and dissatisfaction.

"Why didn't you stay and fight?" I began. There was no time to beat around the bush. My sister looked revolted.

"Why would I do that? We're on the Dark Lords side or something like that?" She whispered uncertainly. I sympathized for my sister feeling as though she was uneducated, but unaware at the same time that she needed to be, "aren't our parents doing something for him?" she asked quietly. A silent rage filled inside of me, but I didn't want to have another outburst.

"If you would have stayed, you would have known," I stated with a tone indicating I was irritated with her, but still compassionate

"But I didn't want to die," she retaliated.

"And I'm sure our parents feel the same way," I urged, "Daphne... I'm disappointed in your lack of emotion and heart... I wish you could see further upon what you were told..." I whispered. This time she didn't look angry, but instead she almost looked like she was guilty of something. I hoped that what I said would begin to break down her wall.

"Why are you acting like you would have stayed and fought if you were old enough?" she hissed.

"Because I didn't realize how important it was until now," I stated. When she didn't reply, I decided our talk was over, "I wish you the best Daphne," I whispered and walked back to my side of the room.

The next thought to occur to me was defending Draco Malfoy...

Did he stay to fight, or was he fleeing from wherever he thought we were hiding because he didn't want to hide. I'm pretty sure I know what side he was on... And it wasn't the school's... but why would that prompt him to stay? That only prompted me to become worried for him. The last time he was in a situation like this our Headmaster died... People were dying in that moment. I shifted back into my thoughts; Would I be sad if he died? Like really... how would if affect me? He hasn't shown me any interest since third year! He probably doesn't even like me! He doesn't care about me, he probably doesn't even care if I was dead or alive; as long as he was still thriving. He's selfish Astoria! Why did you put yourself in this situation? The only thing you have with him is a sense that you don't think he deserves to die! But look at what he's done Astoria; he's bullied others, gotten himself into dark situations, possibly hurt other people physically; he's hurt you emotionally, and you know it too. He's a two-faced bastard and you know it. And most of all Astoria; he's a coward... is that someone you really want in your life?