The Carricks

Positive, isn't it? Two teenagers were missing both of their parents, and had to begin staying at their Aunt and Uncle's house. Now, my relatives were lovely people, but I missed my mum... I missed my dad. They treated us well and even though it took them a while, they supported what I chose to do. They weren't the most loving people in the world, but they were mine. They were there...

My summer was relatively boring. I didn't really do much, except chores given to me by my Aunt and Uncle; Ruby and Tom Carrick. They wanted us to call them Ruby and Tom though; Mrs. and Mr. Carrick was too formal. They both worked in the Ministry; somewhere in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. I wasn't sure exactly what they did, but I was glad they made enough to house Daphne and I. The Carrick's didn't have any other children which was evident in the way their house was built. It was a small house with only 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. Everything in there seemed old, like it hadn't been touched for years, but it didn't bother me. I liked the quaintness. Ruby was my mum's older sister, but I didn't see her much outside of usual family gatherings... that weren't so usual anymore. Tom usually kept quiet about what he was doing and didn't tell anyone at the ministry that he was housing 2 girls whose parents were most probably working for the Dark Lord. We weren't allowed to really go anywhere and only left the house on necessary orders.

Daphne distanced herself from me; I could tell that Pansy probably convinced her that I was a terrible person, or something stupid like that. Daphne had already turned 17 and had successfully received her apparition license. Her age meant that she was allowed to do magic in the house; she tended to rub that in my face... Tom advised her not to do anything larger than household spell because there was a chance that the Ministry could track her. If we were found, it wouldn't have been a huge deal, but we didn't have many answers if we were ever questioned. According to Tom, the Death Eaters were already infiltrating the Ministry, he wasn't one of them, but he stood by their side in order to stay safe. We weren't in danger of anything, but we didn't want to do anything to put us there. So, we tried to be a secret, but we weren't very good at being one

August 15th 1997

*Knock* *Knock*

"Who's that?" Daphne called from the living room. She was entertaining herself with her wand. Ruby and I were in the kitchen cleaning up lunch; she could use magic, but I had to physically the clean plates. I looked to her and she shrugged. Ruby swiftly walked out of the kitchen and towards the front door. She looked out of the peep hole and slowly opened the door.

"Hello Mrs. Carrick," said a low male voice.

"Hello," Ruby replied shakily.

"We're the Muggle-Born Registration Commission, I'm sure you've heard of us," a less low male voice stated sweetly. I instantly knew what was going on; I had heard of them. They had just recently been established.

The Ministry (the new Death Eater Ministry), had already begun making large changes to the way they ran themselves; especially their thoughts on Muggle borne witches and wizards. The Daily Prophet had recently released a statement stating that they needed to interrogate Mudbloods. Their reasoning; only those with Wizarding family history should receive the power of magic, and Mudbloods didn't have any wizarding ancestry. So, the Ministry concluded that they must have taken their magic by force. Therefore, they created the Commission to carry out the work. I knew Muggles weren't magical, but I didn't think they'd be able to take magic; it seemed impossible, but the Ministry insisted that they would find out.

Really, the whole thing was aimed to wrangle Muggles and Mudbloods in order to either torture or imprison them. The only way you could get out of questioning is if you could prove that a relative of yours was a wizard. Ruby and Tom were sure that we wouldn't be questioned because we were living with them. So why did they come to our door...?