Chapter 23

Hiccup's POV

As we left the cover of the forest I motioned for the others to follow. We left our dragons near the edge of the village in case we needed to flee. The village was unusually quiet. We moved behind the various houses, but not a soul could be seen. The doors to the Great Hall were open, and inside it looked like a scuffle had taken place. Tables were upturned, benches broken, and swords, and axes were embedded into the floor, the tables, and the pillars.

"This doesn't look good." Mom said as she surveyed the scene.

"But why is only the Great Hall damaged?" I ponder aloud.

"Hiccup, quick you got to see this." Snotlout came running, and pointed towards the arena.

We made our way towards the arena gates. As we got closer yelling could be heard. I peeked in and saw that most of the villagers were being held captive, by heavily armed men. Eret, Camicazi, and Dagur were tied to posts. The soldiers were wrestling a chained Stoick, who was cursing very loudly, to a post.

"Give it up Stoick. You lost." Could be heard. I looked at the scene, and noticed that it was uncle Spitelout that had spoken.

"Spitelout, how could you betray us like this!" Stoick yelled at his brother.

"I'm just being practical. Drago is on his way to Berk as we speak. He'll leave us alone if I hand you over, Stoick." Spitelout answered.

"You're delusional if you think he'll leave us alone." Camicazi yelled back.

"Offering up two other chiefs to him would only sweeten the deal." Spitelout said while stroking his chin.

"Why you!!! Once I get out of these!!" Dagur shouted indigent.

Spitelout huffs. "Who says you will. I won't let the chance to take the throne from Stoick slip past."

"You are insane!" Eret grounded out.

"I worked hard to get power, only to have my idiot son throw it all away." Spitelout grumbled.

"What does that mean?" Stoick asks looking perplexed.

"Hmm. What do you think, Stoick. I spent most of the years making sure that that runt of yours wasn't liked, so that my son would eventually take his place as heir, and I could control everything from the shadows. But then he had to go screw it up by saving Astrid, and claiming self exile." Spitelout answered bitterly.

"And you really shouldn't be talking to me about selling you to Drago so that he will spare us." Spitelout said angrily to his chained up brother. "You did the very same thing to the girl."

"Spitelout....." Stoick began, but Spitelout cut him off with a grin. "Besides with you out of the way, I'll be next in line for chief."

"I don't think so Spitelout!" I yell coming into the arena, and startling the occupants. Astrid, and the others followed behind me weapons drawn.

"Dragon master!!" Spitelout yelled as he turned, and saw me.

"I'm afraid Spitelout that your little schemes end here." I state, my hand hovering over inferno.

"Why would you care!" Spitelout grounds out.

"I have some unfinished business with Stoick, and you still wouldn't be next in line for chief." I tell him, while pulling off my helmet. "I'm still alive after all."

Silence reigned through the arena as the Vikings stared wide-eyed at me. "No....No... you're supposed to be dead!!" Spitelout yelled taking a step back.

"Why!! Why would you even come back!" Spitelout yelled.

"Well it certainly wasn't for your charming Viking demeanor." I tell my uncle dryly.