Chapter 38

Shawn's point of view.

Stephanie just left, dropping Jordyn off with me. I feel bad, I told Melisa we'd go to the movies or something today but now that I have Jordyn I'll have to call it off.

We've haven't really been able to do much together lately because I have to put Jordyn first.

I dialed Melisa's number.

Shawn : sorry, we can't go out today. Stephanie needed me to watch Jordyn.

Melisa : are you being serious?

Shawn : yeah sorry, it was last minute.

Melisa : Shawn we have barely seen each other for months now. I was kind of looking forward to actually spending time with my boyfriend today...

Shawn: I'll make it up to you

Melisa: don't bother you'll probably just cancel that too

Shawn: Mel...

Melisa: what Shawn? I mean I never get to spend time with you anymore because you're always watching Jordyn. And I'm fine with that part. Jordyn is adorable and I love her but whenever I want to go spend time with you I can't because you are too busy spending time with your ex girlfriend.

I could hear that she was slightly crying which shocked me for a second because she almost never cries.

Melisa: when I was jumping off that fricking cliff for you, I didn't get the memo that meant I had to share you with your ex.

Shawn: you don't. Melisa, I have to talk to Stephanie. She's Jordyn's mother so I don't really have a choice. I love you though...

Melisa: do you, because right now that's kind of questionable.

Shawn: of course I do but I don't want to have a conversation like this over the phone. At least come over. Jordyn is about to fall asleep so I'll put her down and it will just be you and me, okay?

Melisa: .......

Melisa: okay.. Fine.

She hangs up without saying anything else. I need to find a way to fix this.

I put Jordyn in her crib and less than twenty minutes later, there's a knock at my door. I open it to Melisa.

"You could've just came in, you have a key.." I tell her.

"Didn't seem appropriate to use right now" she answers.

"Come inside," I say, gesturing inside.

I shut the door behind her and we both sit on the couch in the living room.

We sit in plain silence for a minute before finally talking.

"Mel I only want to be with you." I eventually say.

"At this point I wish I could say I believed you," her eyes were watery and slightly red.

"I know you need take care of Jordyn. I get that. But it feels pretty damn shitty to have your boyfriend constantly putting his ex before you."

"Mel-"

"Do you still love her, Shawn? Just tell me the truth," she asks.

"She was the first person I fell in love with, those feelings don't just go away. I'll always care about her, but-"

"So that's a yes," she cuts me off," ya know what, I think we need to take a break because this just isn't working anymore," she stands up, crying.

"Melisa!" I say as she was walking away.

"What, Shawn?! Im tired of being your second choice, I can't be your back up girlfriend anymore. You'd rather have Stephanie and that's fine, I'll get out of your life," she tries to blink back tears but it doesn't work.

"Melisa i don't want you out of my life, I love you,"

"I think you love her more though, and that's okay. I love you Shawn and i probably always will. You were the first person I fell in love with and like you said, those feelings don't go away, but I don't want to be with you unless I'm the only person you want. And clearly that's not the case here." She leaves in the pouring rain.