'You are my champion'

Brooklyn's Pov

I looked up at the clock which read 4 extra minutes with the score line still 1-1. I looked over to Y/n who was standing on the half way line with her hands on her hips, her face full of concentration and frustration as she didn't want to go for another 30 minutes as she did have a lot of good chances during the game.

The ball got kicked over to Y/n who easily controlled it and sprinted down the field with the two U.S. defenders running with her, she lifted her head up and instantly fired a shot with a left foot. Everyone raised to their seats as it looked like it was going in, going over the Sol but then hit the bar making the goal shake. Y/n shouted and punched the air looking ever so frustrated, Steph walked over to her and hit her back and consoled her but it looked like it didn't work.

It was now the last minute and it was still 1-1, all the girls looked tired and didn't want the game to be finished. U.S. was on a break with all the girls running towards their goal, they put in a shot and went straight to a white shirt, they tried and cleared it but went straight in the back of the net with the U.S. girls celebrating as the girls shouted at each other to regroup.

As soon as they regrouped the final whistle went with Y/n falling on the floor as she pulled her shirt over her face. Duggan ran over to her and helped her up and hugged her as she cried on her shoulder which broke my heart. I knew how much she has worked to get into the England team and how hard she has worked to get them in the final. I watched as she walked off with her head dropped down to the floor ignoring the crowd, I jumped up and made my way into the stadium to go down to the tunnel.

_____________

Y/n Pov

The final whistle went off which broke my heart knowing that we didn't do as well as we should and we let down the nation. I fell to the floor and felt tears fill my eyes making me hide my face with top.

"Come here" a Scouse voice appeared showing Toni Duggan who helped me to my feet. "You played so well, you should be proud of yourself" she whispered as I cried on her shoulder.

I pulled away from her and made my way into the tunnel with my head down ignoring all the celebrations from the Americans. I kicked the water bottles which was on the floor near the wall, I looked up to see a familiar brunette, he put his arms out which I happily took and had his arm wrap around me.

"I'm so proud of you" he whispered in my ear, I let out small scoff making him pull away from me. "You played so well and ok you didn't get the right result but you have made a name for yourself" he said looking in my eyes.

"But we didn't win Brook" I said quietly. "I have pushed my body to the brink, my feet are sore and I'm achy that's why we didn't win because of me"

He grabbed my face. "You pushed your body to the brink for your nation which they are so happy to call you English because you are still young and have so many more opportunities to win" he kissed my forehead. "You don't need to prove to anyone how good you are, you won the league for crying out loud"

"Thanks Brook" I gave him a small smile.

"Who needs a medal to know you are a champion? You are my champion" he whispered and put his lips on mine. "I love you champion" he whispered against my lips.

I didn't answer him I pulled him closer to me and deepened the kiss.

___________

Casually watching MOTD so I thought I'd keep it football related ☺️

Who do you think will win the Prem?