Part 6: Elevated Perspective

Year: 1909

Time: 4:11pm

Location: Flatiron Building, New York, America

Level: Ground

The space inside the elevator was somewhat smaller than I imagined. Normally there would be enough room for a small trolley with luggage and the attendant, but today it seemed smaller. Not that I had been in this particular carriage before.

The attendant stood near the controls which were to the left, and Kate and I were behind him with room behind us but not the same space on our sides.

We had to walk single file into the carriage because it wasn't wide enough to let two pass inside decently.

While shuffling to find our poll position in the box, my hand momentarily brushed against Kate's waist, which, despite the layers of cotton, were as smooth as porcelain. A view which apparently was written all over my face because when I turned to apologise to her, she looked at me then turned a bright red and didn't say anything for a whole minute.

"Nice dress," I finally said.

"My aunt and I made this dress but I never expected it to be this tight," she muttered, pulling at the fabric, obviously not talking about what just happened.

I looked towards the doorway then distracted both of us by asking some technical questions to the attendant about this elevator.

"What is the gross load limit of this car?"

"Well, considering the floor size and that this building is designed to bear the load of a few more storeys just to be safe, we have built the elevator to carry 2,500 lbs, or 1,134 kg."

"So, that's like one belhop, a bag cart and a few people?" I asked.

"Ah, yes, you could say that. This isn't a freight elevator after all, haha,"

"How have the safety mechanisms changed since Mr. Otis first made the safety brake?..."

The attendant and I had a nice chat about technicalities, which kinda made Kate feel left out, to which she tugged at my arm a little.

We soon got to the top 4 floors. We had to stop at the 17th because there was some construction and fitting going on the top 3. The attendant stayed in the elevator and went down. He instructed us to follow the stairs and that he would advise the Forman that we would be up there but to meet him first before going anywhere.

"Greetings. Kent told me that you would be around. I don't mind you being here but I must insist that you show proper sense and stay away from the open windows. We don't want anything to happen by accident do we?" said the Forman, without a trace of malice whatsoever.

One of the good men of this decade, I think.

"Yes of course. My lady, please hold onto my arm. I shall lead you," I said to Kate in a firm yet considerate manner.

"Thank you," she replied, amused at my mature nature all of a sudden.

"Haha, spoken like a gentleman. But I can't call you a man yet, can I?" laughed the Forman heartily.

I tried not to feel someone insulted and held back my teenage pride and simply replied, "not yet, sir."

The Forman led us up a newly constructed stairway and we followed his specific directions where and how to step on the floors.

When we got to the top floor the Forman stayed near the stairway, ready to leave us and manage workers a floor below.

The floors were solid but not yet as refined, so we had to be careful.