Part 34: Staring At Structures

Year: 2038

Time: 4:12pm

Location: Reception Area, Pacific Sky-Lift Base Station, Pacific Ocean

Level: Level 3, Air Reception Level

I sat next to Kate, who was still mesmerised by the sights and sounds of the ocean. Since we were several metres away from sea level the sounds weren't as apparent, but we could still hear faint sounds of the waves crashing on the distant momentum barriers that protected against rogue waves that could easily smash the base and snap the tower into many carbon-tendons.

So as not to startle her by my presence, I called her name softly in her ear before placing my hand on her shoulder.

Kate blinked and turned around to see me. It seemed that she had her eyes closed and was just listening to the sea.

"Alex," she said to me, the sounds of the ocean must have made her a bit sleepy.

"Would you like to go up now?" I showed her the set of keys that I was given.

Kate looked at them quizzically.

"These aren't 'keys', they're cards."

"I'll show you how they work. Let's go to our suite." I said, putting the 'keys' into my pocket. Yes, I actually do use my clothes pockets...sometimes.

"Suite? Just how much money do you have?" Kate asked, tilting her head to the right.

I held out a hand to help her stand.

"Enough to buy an island and retire with a lot left to play around for a long time, let's just say that. But please don't think differently of me. I have money, but I don't wish to be a rich person."

Kate took my hand and I smoothly pulled her up from the window seat.

"I won't. I know you as you are here and now. You are a kind, protective, reliable and trustworthy man, Alex... and I..." Her voice trailed off as she realised what he was about to say in her head.

"Hmm? What were you about to say...Kate?" I said her name slowly in the most tender of bedroom voices that I could only share with one person in my entire life.

She looked downward making circles in the ground with her toe, then looked up at me and smiled in a nice resolved look.

"I love you," Kate said softly looking straight into my eyes.

I reached out to stroke her right cheek with the palm of my hand.

Her cheek was soft and was warming up as she flushed red.

She slowly blinked and then closed her eyes, tilting her head back a little.

Unfortunately, I completely misread this sign for a kiss and reached around with both arms and hugged her. She was disappointed to say the least but inwardly calmed herself and accepted the embrace and wrapped her arms around my back.

I vaguely heard the word, "dummy" coming out of her mouth, but I was too much focused on how much I was going to say "I love you too, Kate," that I missed it. So I didn't understand why she playfully punched my arm afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------

We followed the signs and found our way to the central expansive area where we saw The Skylift.

Kate and I gasped in awe at the huge structure reaching into space, not to mention the scale of how small we were to only the base.

"It's a lot bigger than the one in the Flatiron." Kate commented.