Part 14: Colours

Part 14: Colours

Year: 1990

Time: 6:12pm

Location: Taronga Zoo, Sydney, Australia

Level: Ground

We both looked around the Taronga Zoo for yet a while more, then took the bus back over the bridge and decided to watch the sun set over the harbour along the edges of the Sydney Opera House.

"It sure is romantic here, Alex. Thank you for bringing me here," Kate said to me as she leaned her head onto my shoulder.

"You are welcome, Kate. I love how sunsets look when they're over water. No matter year it is." I replied.

We watched as the circle of bright orange and yellow dipped it's chin into the wavy surface of the harbour waters.

I was working hard to find out what is what and where in the vicinity and protecting Kate all through our trip together, but right now I felt relaxed.

I gently pulled her in closer.

We stayed together and watched the sun hide under the horizon.

Boats and buildings all lit their lights. People nearby walked past with some of their faces illuminated by their phones. Young children, some of which were riding on the necks of their fathers, started to quieten down. People were stopping and standing still, seemingly awaiting something.

Kate and I looked around.

It was then that a firework shot up and exploded, spreading a flower of purple and white high in the sky.

Then another of blue and gree... and another of yellow, making a choreographed stream of colours that lit up the dark air with a mix of crackles and explosions.

A pattern of fireworks made the shape of a pink heart in the sky. Kate and I looked at each other when we saw it and smiled.

The Sydney Harbour bridge was showering sparkles in a waterfall of color. It changed slightly from bright blue to green and then orange.

A series of boats that were moored in the harbour set off their charges and streamed a really really long set of lines into the night sky and set off a plethora of explosive patterns. A few even managed to make the hippie sign of peace, which was really bizzare but still pretty.

There was music playing from everywhere around us. It was some classical music with some oncoming crescendo. We were not near that part yet, but we could tell it was coming as more and more elaborate patterns graced the night sky.

Far off in the distance we saw the areas there being illuminated with similar patterns and colors. Somehow they had managed to make the Australian flag! It was a huge display and even had the Southern Cross spaced away from the edges of the flag! It was simply amazing at how accurate they pyrotechnicians had precisely timed all of their charges.

Kate was frightened a first, but then was amused and amazed at all this display. My gentle shoulder rubbing also helped.

"They use black powder and other powders and chemicals to shoot a container into the sky, where no one will get hurt, and then they ignite the colour charge inside the container and it all explodes in a mix of colours for a certain amount of time." I explained. "They put a separate container into a tube to be pushed my a gunpowder charge underneath it. once that pushes the charge into the sky at a certain length of burn it will explode and burn up in the sky giving the right pattern."

"So, it's like a putting mix of powder that will show a different colour depending on the mix and concentration?" Kate asked, looking up at me.

"Yes, just like that." I smiled to her.

"Or you could say it's like a bunch of petrochemical plants all lined up and being hit by a swarm of Al-Queda terrorists, haha" came a feminine laugh from nearby.

I felt somewhat offended, I used to work at a chemical plant before I stayed in the scientific field.

"Who are you, and why did you say that?" I asked, turning to two figures approaching us.

Through the sporadic lighting of the fireworks I could make out a slim and strangely shiny figure of a woman and a large muscly man behind her.

"My name is Kepler, and I destroyed the last few plants I worked on...just to see what colours came out. I saw a lot of green...ooh, and a bit of white and blue flames...and lots and lots of red... absolutely everywhere, heh-

I gritted my teeth, I had a bad feeling I knew that the red she referred to was: blood. I disliked these two already.

"We've been searching time for you, Mr. Julian." Kepler continued "There are some who wish to see you dead after making that device on your back. We prefer a nice ransom to up the gain. Dead or alive it's no matter to us. Although I would like to know what kind of colours come out of that cutie in your arms," She smiled, a cold exacting smile. Although something made me think she was just trying to scare me... It was working.

I wrapped Kate in my arms, already feeling defensive from such a threat.

"I will never let you touch her! Who is it that wants me dead? I demand to know!"

Kepler grinned, "The Illuminati..." She paused for effect just to see me look started at hearing such a well known name come up. "They see problems that are caused by your device and they seek your demise."

"So, do you want to just knock me out of wipe us out? What do you really want from me? Whatever you want, just please leave her out of this!"

The big one took a step towards us and grinned. We saw his mechanical features illuminated for just a moment. We heard his voice rumble through all the cacophony around us,

"We are merely deliverymen... Now we have come to collect."

There was a moment when the entire sky went dark.

I heard an audible slap, probably about that word ending in '-men'.