Part 53: A Day Redeemed

Year: 2005

Time: 12:54pm

Location: Bonneville Salt Flats, America

Level: Ground

People were grieving and many people were talking about cancelling the track meet for the time being. The fear and shock of the tragic death of a common friend to all had gotten to the staff, participants, and the visitors.

Kate was still in my arms and was shocked that life is so easily snuffed out and in such a sudden and catastrophic manner. Tim was walking around and asking if there was any good news.

A small commotion started up around the Light Thrust II team tent and an official stormed out. Later a group of confident and smiling people came out and Kenneth Sanchez headed out towards his crew. A driver from the opposing company team whispered something to him and he went pale and headed to his crew and said something which made them all frantically check the rocket car for tampering.

---------------------------------

Eventually it turned out that Kenneth Sanchez argued to get his run today and not have it postponed or cancelled. There was also an arrest for charges of sabotage by one or more of the members of the opposing company team.

----------------------------------

"Kate, look!" I gently turned Kate around as we saw and heard that Kenneth Sanchez was going out to do his run.

"That man must be pretty brave," she said, watching him step onto the start line and eye the horizon.

Everyone watched as the rocket car was fired up, the intake began rotating and drew in and compressed air, and the countdown began.

5.... 4... 3... 2...1... BEEEEP

*WOOOOOOSH*

The Light Thrust II throttled high and the large single turbine gulped down air and fuel which fed the rocket engine and propelled the car forward.

With the sublimation injector now installed the rocket engine tripled it's power and the hotter the chamber got the more fuel it turned from solid straight to gas and went straight into the thrust of the craft.

"Mach 1,"

The stubby little wings kept the vehicle down and straight while it flew over the ground at break neck speed.

Then Kenneth fired the twin booster rockets just above the main rocket engine.

*BOOM*

The Light Thrust II broke through the wall of air before Mach 2.

The tracking camera watched the car pass mile marker after marker at a phenomenal speed, a pressure clearly forming around its fuselage

*BOOM*

Another, much more feint sonic boom was heard.

"Mach 2!"

"Mach 2.3... 2.4...!"

The crowd began to gasp and watch the screen intently.

"Mach 2.5! Kenny Sanchez has made a new world record!"

The crowd cheered as they saw the parachute open and the rocket car slow down safely.

Tim chuckled, "Good man."

"'Tragic Day Redeemed' is what the newspaper will say tomorrow," I said, showing the picture of the front page headlines from my console to Tim and Kate.