Part 57: Hunters and Bounty

I checked my readings to make sure that we had arrived at the right time. I made sure it was 2 days away from when we had that confrontation the last time, just to make sure that we don't accidentally run into the other Deune-and-Kepler that would be in this block in time.

[Year: 2038

Time: 7:35am

Location: Corridor area, Stratostation, Upper Atmosphere, Earth-Space

Level: Level 2]

"Okay, is everyone alright?" I called out to everyone who was still holding hands.

Deune, who was still kneeling and reaching downwards had closed his eyes for a minute of silence for the Pycretian child he last saw.

He looked back at Kepler then just stood up and answered,

"It's just us here."

I felt the pain he felt. We just ended a race of space-faring sentient creatures that have been trying to find a reason to live.

Well we gave them a quiet place to stay at least. But now they do not have anything to do. They are isolated and permanently kept away from society.

We all were silent for a while as we came to terms with what we had just done. We had trapped a devolved race in a somewhat hospitable location where they cannot harm themselves or us.

"Mercy." Was the one word that Kate uttered. We all heard and nodded reverentially. Considering the state they were in, yes it was a kindness to put them out of their misery.

-----------------------------------------

We didn't feel like saying anything at all for a while, so I decided that we all take a break to sit down or eat something.

We headed to our booked room and went inside to prepare, order and possibly share a meal. I swiped us in and the computer welcomed us back. We ordered some seafood to be brought to our room for everyone and we all quietly ate at the table.

Martin flew around a little then settled on sitting on a curtain rail and promptly fell asleep for a while.

"So, the inventor of Q2 Gates likes calamari rings. I'll be sure to add that to our data files of you." Kepler joked, trying to bring us all out of the mood. She wasn't one for being sad too long. She understood of course, but she didn't like the feeling of staying sad for too long.

"Does your record say anything about how I like cats, Kepler?" I asked, deciding to join in.

"Indeed it does, but thank you sir for the valuable contribution," Kepler said, overly politely.

Kate was happy that we were getting along well and decided to also join in.

"Excuse me, lady, does your record have anything about me?"

Kepler smiled at Kate and said, "Only good, my dear. Despite not officially being in any huge moments in history, unofficially you and Alexander have been to quite a lot of places I hear."

Kate reached and held my hand gently,

"Yes, we have," she said, looking up at me like a newly-we'd does to her husband.

"When we first saw you together we saw you in this photo. Remind you of anything?" Kepler inquired, bringing up a hologram of a photographic slide that was kept in a Meuseum for many decades. The picture was of Kate and I smiling near a window and there was a strange blurred object near Kate's side. This was a replica of the photo taken by our friend the photographer in the unfinished Flatiron Building.