Part 52: A Trip to the Salt Flats

Year: 2005

Time: 3:11pm

Location: Florida, America

Level: Ground

-----/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \-------

Author's note:

There are conflicting historical records as to whether the Speed Trials were held in the year 2005 at Bonneville. Some say it rained and no trails were run, some say all runs on the set date were not sanctioned (officially recorded) by the FIA (Fédération Internationale l'Automobile).

Records were mostly kept on paper too so I cannot acquire them to get accurate details on other FIA-sanctioned runs.

Regardless, the un-FIA-sanctioned run of the Buckeye Bullet was historically accurate. The rest is fiction based on factual track usage on other times. So it unfact-tioned fiction from facts. Hmm.

Now, back to the story.

-------\. . . . . . . . . . . . ./--------

Our trio headed out of the Display Home area and thanked the staff for waiting for us. Martin cawwed at them and one of the ladies working at the desk looked up and waved at Martin, partly expecting the sound to come from a small child playing around.

"Ah that was amusing and informative," I said, holding the door open and closing it behind us.

"Well, is there somewhere that you would like to go next?" Tim asked.

Kate tugged at my sleeve,

"We do seem to be travelling places we want to go. Is there somewhere that you would like to go since we are here, Tim?"

"Well, since you are offering..." Tim rubbed his chin. 'Man-thinking' pose.

"I have always wanted to go to the Salt Flats in Utah to watch the rocket cars, no matter what year."

"Good choice," was a rather tame response from me. I contained the 'awesome!' that I was very tempted to blurt out, followed through with a high-five with Tim. Heh, too bad.

Kate didn't know about V6 or rocket engines, let alone what these even were.

"Rocket cars? What are they?"

Tim and I grinned, like excited kids.

"Ohoho, we won't spoil the surprise for you. Better if we see them up close."

----------------------------------------

We all decided to travel to the Salt Flats through me teleporting us there. It would take took long and it would be too far to simply ride a bus or train there, as much as I admire the bus drivers here. We would have to travel a few hours back because most of the races were before or around midday.

We went to a quiet place where no one would see or that we could be seen by satellite before getting ready to jump.

"Okay, ready to go?" I checked everyone was okay.

We all nodded, and Martin leaned towards Kate's neck, seeming to know what was going to happen by watching where my hand was hovering over the wrist console.

I pressed the command to initiate rotation and immediately the web of magnetism formed around us. During our time in The Flood I had repaired and also tweaked the interference algorithms of the magnetic webbing of the device and had figured out more efficient webbing patterns to make the jump fast in case we had to do that in a hurry...again.